Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: What is your experience with CO?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always test for CO, and have personally found CO in my tank(s), or have been poisoned by CO.

11 16.92%
  • I always test for CO, but have not personally found a reading, or experienced CO poisoning.

11 16.92%
  • I always test , haven't had a reading, but know someone that has found CO or experienced CO.

8 12.31%
  • I always test for CO, haven't had a reading, but have heard of found or experienced CO.

3 4.62%
  • I don't test for CO; I personally know someone that found or experienced CO.

5 7.69%
  • I don't test for CO, but the station has a CO tester and I've seen it.

6 9.23%
  • I don't test for CO; I fill my own and test for CO, or just trust my fills.

9 13.85%
  • I don't test for CO, I've not heard of it around here and don't believe it is an issue.

6 9.23%
  • Other

6 9.23%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Memberator

Default What is your experience with Carbon Monoxide (CO}?

A discussion on Facebook has been roiling, but one question has not been answered well - What is the real data on Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

This is a question of your *experience* with CO in your tanks, as well as how seriously you test for CO.

Please explain in your post if you are cannot answer this or something is other.

Last edited by Jax; 01-29-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    All opinions are my own and do not reflect the view of the board.

"If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

The hurt my head feels because of the confusing options is different than the time I got a CO hit.

-Jon

Administrator Forum Admin

Someone I once dove with died of CO. A diveshop I get gas from had a compressor issue, and pumped CO into the bank. They had to dump their bank, and get the tanks cleaned. I loaned my CO meter to someone that had CO in their tanks, because they had never seen a high reading before, and wanted to cross check.

And yes, I always check now.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Memberator

Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    The hurt my head feels because of the confusing options is different than the time I got a CO hit.

-Jon
    So you got a CO hit before you began testing?

All opinions are my own and do not reflect the view of the board.

"If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

I test for CO when I test for O2. I have a set of oxycheq sensors and a first stage with spg and LPI hose. With this, I can check both quickly and easily as well as pressure. When I label tanks, I also note that I did a co check.

I have never had a co hit diving or found elevated co in tanks. 70% of my fills are on a compressor I maintain and get quarterly air checks, 20% are on others that I believe (but verify) to be well maintained and 10% are ????

I have had elevated co levels from firefighting and have seen others with it for various reasons. At a minimum, it makes you feel like crap. For an extra minute when I get fills, I like the evidence.

I use a cootwo, all of my first stages have lpi's on them so it all get's checked at the same time. Very nice tool to have. I have not personally found anything in my tanks over ambient CO levels, but know of others who have. Not worth the risk

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

I used to use the lpi fitting, but I got a DIN flow restrictor (with a bleeder) and it's so much easier now. I just screw it into the cylinder valve and connect the tube to the analyzer.

My CO detector is the Analox unit that you just push against the valve opening. It takes about a minute to analyze for both.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

I always analyze, and have not yet has a CO reading above zero. I have a Sensorcon CO detector with a DIN fitting and tubing that conducts the gas past a T-piece that goes to the CO detector. While the gas is flowing I put the end of the tubing on the inlet of my Nuvair O2 analyzer and measure CO and O2 simultaneously. Quick and simple.

I always test..
    In Mexico I have found low readings on CO here and there..
    surely helps to analyse i front of them..
    almost every time the n3xt day levels drop..

I've found low (2ppm) readings twice and personally know people that e found dangerously high readings (dives aborted). I try to always analyze my gas and encourage others to use my analyzer.

- Jeff

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL