Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Chambers recompressing diver's database

This is something I have harped on for the last few years, and having an accurate list of chambers that will recompress divers is critical (if not life saving). As much as I am a fan of DAN, they may not be as update to date as we'd like.

I will start with what is known,but needs verification.
    Shands in Gainesville- has not shown a tendency to recompress divers,even when showing up during "business hours"
    Tallahassee- recently heard of their not recompressing divers. Unsure if this is short term or long term
    Valdosta, GA- has recompressed divers
    Albany,GA- has the facilities and has not shown a tendency to turn away divers.
    Tampa- DCS fatality at Ginnie I understand was sent there,but which hospital???

What needs to be added
    Panama City
    Jacksonville
    Pensacola
    Orlando

Where else?

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I think Citrus County Memorial has a chamber because it is on standby for commercial diving emergencies where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by EGIB View Post
    I think Citrus County Memorial has a chamber because it is on standby for commercial diving emergencies where I work.
    Any chance you can call and get verification? or at least provide a phone number that people can have to be able to call. I think to make this a valuable data base is to have that information. My goal is to make this a "sticky" on CDF, and it can be access during an emergency on a smart phone.

I will start
    Phoebe Putney hospital,Albany GA. 229-312-1000
    Wound care department that has the hyperbaric chamber 229-312-7600
    Dr Bozzuto is the physician in charge of hyperbaric medicine

Out of curiosity why do they turn away divers?

It seems that turning away someone who will die without that treatment would be both unethical and a violation of the hippocratic oath.

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post

It seems that turning away someone who will die without that treatment would be both unethical and a violation of the hippocratic oath.
    They probably don't feel that they have the training/equipment/necessary staff/etc. to help. That or their liability insurance doesn't cover it. Half of the places that turn away divers probably could treat them, but don't due to all those reasons.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

I was treated at the Florida Hospital in Orlando in Feb 2015. Their number is (407) 303-1549. Not sure if the doc is still there. As a note, they treated me after a referral from our flight docs at MacDill AFB. I assume they will recompress divers referred through civilian channels, but I can't confirm that.

St. Marys 561-844-6300 in West Palm Beach will accept divers. Use them at your own risk. There's a lot of horror stories going around, myself included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post

It is hospital economics. You make more money putting several wound care people in a chamber versus one diver that requires OT staff. Hospitals are profit making businesses (including the nonprofit ones).

The nurse in this article has been complaining about this issue for a while. Sadly, he's not a diver, so some of his ideas regarding technical divers are misplaced, but he's been helpful with information regarding open/closed sites in the past. I'm trying to dig up contact info from him now.

http://local15tv.com/news/local/scub...d-away-from-er