Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need your input or experience with FOURTH ELEMENT Arctic undergarment

Hi guys this is the deal. I have a cave cut sig series DUI cf200 and while going to the gym all winter my arms got a lot bigger. With this being said my cf200 is pretty tight in the bicep area. I used to wear a Hollis 200g undergarment but I have head good things about the fourth element artics. It is a lot thinner then the Hollis or other jumpsuits but how about warmth????? I already bought it and I won't be diving it until May. I live and dive off NY and NJ where our bottom temps range from 45-55 degrees on most wrecks. Do you guys think my fourth elements are suitable for these temps? If not what can I later under them to make them warmer. Keep in mind I had to buy these because they are thin and I can use my suit with them. Also keep in mind I'm not shelling out another 3k on a new suit. I'll stop working out my arms before I do that!!! any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would think you should be OK. Fourth element also sells a vest you can add as a layer that doesn't add anything to your "arms".

The Arctic is a very warm undergarment as thin as it is compared to Thinsulate.
    It is about on par with my Santi 200g Thinsulate, maybe it offers a little less insulation.
    My buddy uses his Arctic with the CF200 in winter and he dives below freezing with it. It is plenty warm under a crushed neoprene dry suit for all conditions.
    Keep in mind that you may need more weight to offset the additional buoyancy compared to your old undersuit.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I dive a xerotherm as my base layer with the Arctic on top (under a crushed neoprene suit) for the Florida caves. Originally I was happy diving just the xerotherm and no hood, but I started getting cold around the 95-100 min mark. I then tried the Arctic and a 5 mil hood, but I definitely started to overheat going into the ear. I'm now diving the xerotherm with the Arctic on top with no hood. It's definitely a little too warm for me at the beginning, but it's just about perfect after I get past the lips. I stash the hood in my pocket for deco that's more than 10 minutes.

The Arctic +xerotherm is definitely a little bulky, but I wouldn't say it's any worse than a normal sweatsuit. I'd say that it really will depend if it's warm enough for you. If you are doing 3 hr dives at 50 then you'll probably get pretty cold ( I can't comment how it would feel with argon). However, it should be more than adequate for shorter dives as long as you aren't a sissy with the cold. When you factor in a hood and gloves, I think it should be nice and toasty.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

Guys thanks so much and I'm so happy for the positive feedback keep it coming please. I was wondering if long johns could serve as a good base also as far as argon goes. I don't know if you already know but check this out. This add comes from add helium who I hate and think are bull #### artist thieves. But anyway check it out.

http://www.addhelium.com/#!Myth-Bust...f2d8d402fd5b55

For a base layer you really just want something that wicks sweat away. You can layer on top of that as much as needed.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

Inverted bear did you read that article

The artics are what most guys use on our boats. You should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northeast,
    I use the J2 for a base layer and the Artic Expedition as main thermals. The Expeditions are just a smidge, if that, thicker than the Artic. I dive fairly consistently in 40-45 degree water and it keeps me warm for 2hr+ average dive time. I have noticed the Expeditions seem to trap air so I'm a little more floaty than when I used my 200gram stuff. I dive a 50/50 and FLX Extreme and like the Fourth Element stuff.

If that's not enough you should check out the UWLightdude heater option...

Don

People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot. - Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

The Arctics are warm for the thickness. I still layered in cold water using them, on their own they weren't enough for upper 30*s to mid 40*s. Anything under 60* and I started layering with them.

Sent via

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL