Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Brits made some nice cars. Some folks (Like ol Carrol Shelby) built a career on upgrading them with decent drivetrains. I might be mistaken.. But the P-51 might be the only American made platform to benefit from a British motor swap.

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Who would put a ladies' transmission in an MGB?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adler View Post
    Well,, a C6 weighs almost as much as the car.
    ??? A C6 is also an automatic...

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

The Brits made some nice cars. Some folks (Like ol Carrol Shelby) built a career on upgrading them with decent drivetrains. I might be mistaken.. But the P-51 might be the only American made platform to benefit from a British motor swap.
    To be fair, the Merlin upgrade was huge enough to compensate for everything Mr Shelby ever did and then some.

Special Member

Nice car, I have a 71 triumph tr6 sitting in my garage, it is a work in progress as well. It doesn't get driven much since i got a Harley. Bill

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Quote Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
    To be fair, the Merlin upgrade was huge enough to compensate for everything Mr Shelby ever did and then some.

Absolutely! ...For its impact on world events as well as it just being a bad @$$ motor in both the P-51 and the Spitfire. It makes a sound like no other engine. There used to me a 51 that flew around Central FL. Even with windows rolled up, you could tell it was there.

I hope the straying topic helps with OFG's efforts to sell this nice little project car.

Absolutely! ...For its impact on world events as well as it just being a bad @$$ motor in both the P-51 and the Spitfire. It makes a sound like no other engine. There used to me a 51 that flew around Central FL. Even with windows rolled up, you could tell it was there.

I hope the straying topic helps with OFG's efforts to sell this nice little project car.

If you are old like me and the P-51 was flying around in the late 70s it might have been Johnny Bolton of Johnny Bolton Ford in Maitland. If it was the 90s I think it was the Ropers of Winter Garden that had one.

Quote Originally Posted by curtschu View Post
    If you are old like me and the P-51 was flying around in the late 70s it might have been Johnny Bolton of Johnny Bolton Ford in Maitland. If it was the 90s I think it was the Ropers of Winter Garden that had one.
    Don't forget Kermit Weeks.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
    "Modern Americans behave as if intelligence were some sort of hideous deformity."
    "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."

Frank Zappa 12-4-93

"There she was - the cave. Like a big craggy jaw, waiting to snap at anything that came along." Lloyd "Mike Nelson" Bridges 3-10-1998

Anyone ever drive a Sunbeam Tiger. I was offered one by the guy I worked for in school for a little over 1000. I didn't have that kind of cash back then....

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by tomhauburn View Post
    Anyone ever drive a Sunbeam Tiger. I was offered one by the guy I worked for in school for a little over 1000. I didn't have that kind of cash back then....
    I have. They were a little over powered, and as a result, a little "squirrelly".

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have. They were a little over powered, and as a result, a little "squirrelly".

Yes, the Tiger had the same HiPo 289 V8 that Shelby put in the early FIA Cobras and the 66-67 GT350s. That in front of a close-ratio Toploader 4-speed is a pretty fun combination to drive. "squirrelly" haha... yea.

"If your totally in control... your not pushing hard enough" ..quote of unknown origin.