Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.

View Poll Results: Do you cave dive solo?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a good chunk of my cave dives are solo

90 46.39%
  • Yes, but only if I can't find a buddy.

51 26.29%
  • Yes, but only if the cave requires it (very low/silty/etc.)

12 6.19%
  • No, I just prefer buddy diving.

28 14.43%
  • No, I think solo diving is unsafe.

13 6.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Poll: Do you solo dive?

Hi everybody,

After reading through old posts on solo diving, I wanted to find out what all of you were doing.

Dive Safe,
    Frank

It's kind of hard to pick just one answer here. The majority of my solos are because it just isn't fit for two (or more) but I do like solo diving so if I can find a buddy to join me with the same skill set then I don't shy away from solo diving.

David Moore
    JWEP, GSEP, OCDA

I love solo diving but didn't really see an answer that really covered it for me. I dive by myself sometimes whether a buddy is available or not. Just depends on the day and what's going on.
    Little River is my go-to spot for it and feel like I'm swimming in an extension of my house usually.

Administrator Forum Admin

I can already see a problem with this poll. I suspect the vast majority of buddy team divers aren't going to open the thread, much less vote. The title should have been something like "do you prefer buddy diving, or solo diving"?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I think solo is unsafe for many, but then again I think many shouldn't be in the caves at all. I do prefer buddy diving. I will dive solo if the cave or task calls for it. Finding a buddy is not an issue. I'm not sure what qualifies as a good chunk.

I do sometimes but prefer to go with a buddy. But for example as I have a 1.5 day drive and they just a full day, I will make a solodive before they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I can already see a problem with this poll. I suspect the vast majority of buddy team divers aren't going to open the thread, much less vote. The title should have been something like "do you prefer buddy diving, or solo diving"?
    It was my first attempt at a poll, Could you change it to that title?

Dive Safe,
    Frank

I Solo dive and I think it has made me a much safer diver. The reason behind my thinking is: I pay a lot more attention to my surrounding and line placement. I pay more attention to my gear and gas supply. To me Solo diving is just more relaxing. No hurry in getting to the dive site to meet someone. And if I feel like turning the dive before a set destination is met I just turn the dive. Plus I have been in-route too a dive site and decided not to go diving today. Kind of hard to do with a buddy waiting for you.

Fred Summerlin ask SlowDiver

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderated

Sometimes there is nothing better than a good solo dive in a cave to clear one's mind.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

My answer is not listed. I usually enjoy team diving because I am sharing the experience with someone, but every now and then I just want to go do a solo dive. Has nothing to do whether someone is available to dive or not.

Ken Sallot