Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caves/mines near near NY?

Are there any caves/mines within driving distance (less than 6 hours) of New York City or south central PA (Hershey) that are open to the public? Wreck diving gets really expensive when you factor in the boat charters.

Thanks,
    Frank

Administrator Forum Admin

There are caves in NY and PA, but not easily accessible. Some require permits, others require hauling your gear a long way to the water.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    There are caves in NY and PA, but not easily accessible. Some require permits, others require hauling your gear a long way to the water.
    Damn, I was afraid that was the case.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Damn, I was afraid that was the case.
    If there were easily accessible caves, you would have heard about it.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I was working in Stamford, Ct. about 4 or 5 years ago. I went diving in True Blue Quarry in Rutland, Vt. a few times. I think there is someone doing some mine exploration in NY. Seems I have seen pictures on here or Facebook.

This might not be what you're looking for or you may have already been, but there is a very nice "show cave" called Howe Caverns that's worth a visit. It was the first cave I ever went in when I was a kid. It's about 3 hours from NYC, west of Schenectady. You didn't specify wet or dry, this is dry but has a boat ride which is pretty cool and makes you wonder what's below the surface of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I was working in Stamford, Ct. about 4 or 5 years ago. I went diving in True Blue Quarry in Rutland, Vt. a few times. I think there is someone doing some mine exploration in NY. Seems I have seen pictures on here or Facebook.
    Do you know what the access rules for that site are? I heard it was "trespassing" but the owner looked the other way. It sounds like a cool (but chilly) dive.

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    Do you know what the access rules for that site are? I heard it was "trespassing" but the owner looked the other way. It sounds like a cool (but chilly) dive.
    It has been several years since I have been there. When I was there locals were using it as a swimming hole. There is an old plant there onsite where they processed the stone from the quarries. It was basically an artist community now. I spoke to a few of them and there weren't any no tresspassing signs. I am guessing don't ask don't tell policy unless things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    It has been several years since I have been there. When I was there locals were using it as a swimming hole. There is an old plant there onsite where they processed the stone from the quarries. It was basically an artist community now. I spoke to a few of them and there weren't any no tresspassing signs. I am guessing don't ask don't tell policy unless things have changed.
    Thanks for the info. Do you know anybody that still dives there that I could reach out to? It's such a long drive to risk getting there and it being closed.

Come to BTS. Go to the presentation Friday night by Dan Wright and John Eels about the diving they have been doing at the Deep Flooded Mine outside NYC.

Ken

The Tech Diver's Prayer: Oh Lord, if I should die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it..