Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

http://buccmaworld.com/ seems relevant

googling for sa 372 suggests sa 372 accumulator and has a lot of hits.

Yep. Hydraulic accumulators! I'll ask a friend that works at one of the parks if they've gotten rid of a bunch of cylinders recently.

Don't you think the necks could be retapped and the tanks repurposed for something useful instead of being melted down?

Ken

The Tech Diver's Prayer: Oh Lord, if I should die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it..

Yes, that big nut cap should be able to be retapped. Its wide enough.

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

There's probably a diaphragm or a bladder inside. Not something I'd want to just put gas in and go. I wouldn't think it would be worth the effort to try and make them compatible with scuba in any aspect.

No diaphragm inside. Certainly not for scuba diving use, but I'm considering them as a bank, on a metal frame, maybe. Or for something I haven't imagined yet. But scrape is the certainly an option right now.

Quote Originally Posted by tj View Post
    No diaphragm inside. Certainly not for scuba diving use, but I'm considering them as a bank, on a metal frame, maybe. Or for something I haven't imagined yet. But scrape is the certainly an option right now.
    If they are hydraulic accumulators the bladder will be located on the non-gas end. We use several different types of these accumulators on specialized trailers, and there is one that I know of that is an additional expansion reservoir that doesn't have a bladder, but they are nowhere near that size. It's possible (unlikely) that the bladders were removed. I wouldn't risk using these as bank cylinders without a rigorous cleaning and an independent "trial run" for air quality test before tying into your current bank system and risking cross contamination.
    If you can get a model or valve thread pitch, I may be able to help with valves. I'm home located in massive oil and gas country and valves here are virtually limitless.

Edit: on second look, the "large" hex nut threaded directly into the tank is the bladder, the smaller one is the gas into the bladder to allow the expansion/compression of gas to maintain constant hydraulic pressure...or vice versa depending which "direction" it was designed accumulate.

...still playin with Tonka Toys in the sandbox...and blowin bubbles in the water...

Update. NO bladder inside. I looked. The one I looked in is perfect inside. Not checking the other 23ea, 63lb monsters. Yes, if used for a breathing gas bank, they must be cleaned (tumbled I recommend). Carol found the source to an adaptor that fits the tank with a 1/4 female standard end on the other side. Got two folks thinking about how they are going to get them moved. I assume they are thinking about using them for some kind of banks. Guess if you were only filling breather bottles, they might work, or Argon... but you might burn up your booster pumping argon into them at high pressure. Of course they would make sturdy legs for a table, or cut off the bottoms and make bells.

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

SOLD all 24. $100. Future bank tanks in SC

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida