Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cenote Zapote (Hells Bells)

This was my first time here, but I will definitely be returning. I've always wanted to go since I saw Hp and Bogarts' video, but have always bypassed it because it was so far out of the way compared to all the other caves around Tulum. It was a 2 hour drive from Tulum on the highway and a well graded road...and it was well worth it. It's a fun dive to do with deco, so that you can get some more bottom time. We hit a depth of 169' but didn't continue on that line because that was outside our dive plan. Most of the formations are around the 100-120 ft mark.
    I know some people would like to keep this cenote a nice little secret, but I think we owe it to the landowner to get a few divers out there. The facilities are top notch. Almost resort quality. Definitely add this to the list of "must" dives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EZIrqIGQlw

WOW! Those formations were out of this world. I don't know that I've ever seen any quite like that. How gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

V'''''v''''''V''''''''Vv''''''''''''''''v'V''''''' '''''V''''v''''V''''''
    -------------------------------------------
    ________________________________________________/

Beautiful formations, and nice edited! Thanks for sharing!

How does deco work here? Is there a place to stage O2 at 20 feet? Definitely want to go here on my next trip back.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhound View Post
    It was a 2 hour drive from Tulum on the highway and a well graded road...and it was well worth it.

you omit though that once leaving the highway you are into a 30-60 min drive on a mediocre jungle dirt road.. the varying time results from how much wear you are willing/risking to take your car.. Sure as a tourist you may say its a rental don't be gentle.. but you still want to make sure you make it all the way in and all the way back

I don't think it is a secret at all.. As you already wrote, if you are in for caving and staying the Tulum area it is just faaar off.. Much less from Playa of course.. And those OW vacationeers that stay at resorts between Playa and Cancun get dragged there for their Cenote experience in bunches.. Maybe you had a quiet day, but this gets a lot of traffic.. just from a different area and due to that might appear as not frequently talked about by the cave diving centers in Playa/Tulum as for them the trip is just bothersome, so lets direct the OW cenote tour folks some other direction..

Quote Originally Posted by mgif99 View Post
    How does deco work here? Is there a place to stage O2 at 20 feet? Definitely want to go here on my next trip back.

There is no real "place" to stage O2 at 20 feet... it is a full blown sinkhole, that only opens up at about 90' if I recall correctly..
    So if you want to ditch some O2 you should bring a line, so you can drop it from the surface (plenty of options to tie to)
    Question is, if you really need it.. You only need it if you want to go to bottom and follow the lower line (takes you to 160').. If you are in for the formations only and want to enjoy them.. Nx 32 is your friend and you do 2 full circles at slow pace before you get to end of NDL..

Last edited by Nitrogenius; 05-16-2017 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Forget something

BTW it looks like, you guys were also really lucky with the visibility. It can get fairly bad there..

Nice video. I've always wanted to dive there, but was always told it's not a real cave dive. Maybe it's worth pushing harder