Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default What's the best way to ship tanks?

I just wanted to know what the most cost efficient way to ship tanks is. What the price would probably be for a LP 80 and 95. I appreciate any input cause I've never done it before. The tanks are going from Tampa to South FL. Also if anyone knows a good place for hydro in South FL.Thanks for looking.

Quote Originally Posted by sb3535 View Post
    I just wanted to know what the most cost efficient way to ship tanks is. What the price would probably be for a LP 80 and 95. I appreciate any input cause I've never done it before. The tanks are going from Tampa to South FL. Also if anyone knows a good place for hydro in South FL.Thanks for looking.
    I would post on here that you have tanks which need a ride. People do it all the time. I'm sure you could get them to cave country from Tampa, and lots of SFL people could bring them back.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Jj, I don't wanna come off the wrong way but Just pay for 2 steels and give them to someone I've never met before?

I live in north st Pete, go to Tampa frequently, and go to south Florida from time to time, maybe even a week from now.

Jj, I don't wanna come off the wrong way but Just pay for 2 steels and give them to someone I've never met before?
    I understand...but FWIW, I've bought scooters from people on this board, paid for them when we make the deal, then pick them up many months later.
    I was interested in a dry suit, the seller shipped it over to meet me at a scheduled delivery in TX to try on for size, he even told me to feel free to test dive it. When I received it at my load/work destination, tried it on for size and it fit, then I paid him. If it didn't fit, We agreed that I'd return it and cover all the shipping fees as this was for my convenience.
    A buddy sold some gear to a guy that was en-route with a load I was going to haul when I left Marianna. It rode with me for about 10 days before I got there. All parties knew, & nobody worried about it.
    That's just a couple of the deals & things I've done over the years.
    I can't vouch for everybody, but in the cave diving world, I wouldn't sweet it...btw, I bought a scooter last Dec & my world has been totally messed up, I still haven't got down to get it yet. I'm not worried.

BTW, shipping rates are calculated by weight &/or cubic volume, naturally whichever is greater. Tanks are heavy relative to their size, so expect it to be costly if you decide not to trust somebody. Oh yeah, never met AJ, but I wouldn't hesitate to accept or extend an offer to help from him...

...still playin with Tonka Toys in the sandbox...and blowin bubbles in the water...

I purchased 9 tanks earlier this year from Pompano Beach. I paid the guy via PayPal and posted up on this site for the tanks needing a ride. Someone who I have never met posted that he could pick them up and take them to his home in Tampa and then to cave country a couple weeks after that. He dropped them off at a shop in cave country and a friend of mine picked them up a couple weeks later and brought them to my front door. The whole transaction took about a month and that meant several people had to handle 9 tanks a couple times, it's hard to find people like that anymore but I've learned that most of the cave community is willing to help you anyway possible!

Uber for tanks, just without the app.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead Ferrari View Post
    I understand...but FWIW, I've bought scooters from people on this board, paid for them when we make the deal, then pick them up many months later.
    I was interested in a dry suit, the seller shipped it over to meet me at a scheduled delivery in TX to try on for size, he even told me to feel free to test dive it. When I received it at my load/work destination, tried it on for size and it fit, then I paid him. If it didn't fit, We agreed that I'd return it and cover all the shipping fees as this was for my convenience.
    A buddy sold some gear to a guy that was en-route with a load I was going to haul when I left Marianna. It rode with me for about 10 days before I got there. All parties knew, & nobody worried about it.
    That's just a couple of the deals & things I've done over the years.
    I can't vouch for everybody, but in the cave diving world, I wouldn't sweet it...btw, I bought a scooter last Dec & my world has been totally messed up, I still haven't got down to get it yet. I'm not worried.

BTW, shipping rates are calculated by weight &/or cubic volume, naturally whichever is greater. Tanks are heavy relative to their size, so expect it to be costly if you decide not to trust somebody. Oh yeah, never met AJ, but I wouldn't hesitate to accept or extend an offer to help from him...
    This.
    By the way, Bentley, I'm glad the drysuit experience was a good one ....

Have you ever met the FedEx guy you're going to give the box with tank to? How about the UPS guy?
    Cave Divers, on the whole, are EASILY some of the most trustworthy people you will ever meet. Anywhere. Any time. Any place. Ever.
    Are there bad apples? Sure. You have to work hard to find them (even with my luck (as I'm sure cavman will attest to).)

But to answer your question....get a tank box (most shops will have them at some point) or go to UPS store. They must ship ground (doesn't matter if empty/valve out.)
    It cost me a few years ago about $28/tank to ship from NJ to FL a set of LP 95s. Figure $25/tank from FL to FL.
    Or, buy someone a beer (or a smoothie for the preppie cave diver,) forgot about searching for boxes, emptying tanks, taking the valves off, wrapping it all up, and thrown them in the back of someone's pickup.
    Do a username search on here to see posts by the person you're meeting and you'll know him or her better than you know the shipper.

----
    Cave Mann

yeah basically. This happens all the time. Cheap steel tanks are some of the cheapest things that move around the country in this community that way. I've seen CCR's, regulators, drysuits, you name it moved this way. Most common ones are "hey, these are at xx shop, anyone moving through yy area and can pick them up?"

I've sold what? 8 rebreather site unseen. Sent them all over the country and Canada. In 20 years, I can only remember one crook, and we ran her out of diving to the best of my knowledge.