Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default primary light help

As I'm looking to finish up my gear purchases a primary is the next on the list here is my short list

UWLD 35
    UWLD 26
    Light monkey led 21 or 26
    I really like the UWLD lights and what I hear customer support can't be beat my main concern is the 35 to much light my dives will be mx fl and local tn caves.

Is there lights I didn't mention I should look into
    Thanks for your help

I haven't found the 35 to be too much light at all. You can always turn a brighter light down (literally 1 button push extra), but you can't make a dimmer light brighter. I really like mine, got it from Edd, and couldn't be more pleased with it.

That was my thought on it

Find a good shop that will let you try 'em all out before you buy...

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Default primary light help

I love my 35. I have turned it down when I'm in small spaces with light/white rock, but then I get a kick out of turning it back to high when I'm in a big room. The only light I've seen yet that lights a room better is the 60 video light, but of course it's not ideal for regular exploration and fun. The different light levels are perfectly spaced out to illuminate every scale of open space that I've experienced so far (disclaimer: only full cave for 8months yet) in FL and Dominican caves. My UWLD light is probably the only piece of equipment that I've never had a second thought about since I got it. Oh yes, and one nice thing about having a light that's still got umph when you turn it down (e.g. In close quarters or when watching demonstrations in training), you know on low you can still see but you're conserving power that will allow you to dive a couple days on one charge (I have the tall battery).

Administrator Forum Admin

Opie, have you finished your cave training yet? Did you get my email about the "boils" on a river near you?

Last edited by FW; 08-21-2015 at 08:10 AM.
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

UWLD 35 will serve you well.
    Ive never regretted buying mine it is to versatile.
    If Im in big or small cave it does both very well.

JCG

I have a 35 UWLD and a 26w LM. I dive the 35 UWLD in clear caves but the 26w LM works better in crappy viz. I prefer it in caves with lots of particulate in the water. You can turn the Bobby light down but it just doesn't penetrate in crappy viz like the LM light does. I would consider the conditions you are going to dive in and make a decision based on that. From my understanding the Tennessee caves are pretty crappy viz. If I was diving really bad viz on a regular basis I would probably go with a 35w Lm HID as I have never seen a led that can cut through crappy viz like a good HID.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I have a 35 UWLD and a 26w LM. I dive the 35 UWLD in clear caves but the 26w LM works better in crappy viz. I prefer it in caves with lots of particulate in the water. You can turn the Bobby light down but it just doesn't penetrate in crappy viz like the LM light does. I would consider the conditions you are going to dive in and make a decision based on that. From my understanding the Tennessee caves are pretty crappy viz. If I was diving really bad viz on a regular basis I would probably go with a 35w Lm HID as I have never seen a led that can cut through crappy viz like a good HID.
    I am glad to hear that comparison, since I have a UWLD 35, and a Salvo/LM 21W. I find the same to be true. I started to buy a LM 26W, but Cave Adventurers had such a great deal on the 35W UWLD, that I bought it instead.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I had an uwld 26 and upgraded to a 35. The 35 has a slightly different color spectrum(or something) that gives it significantly better penetration than the 26. Bobby explained why once, but its too technical for my brain to retain.

I got some emails yesterday saying the uwld are on sale at edd's and dris right now.