NSS - CDS MIDWEST WORKSHOP
    ST LOUIS, MO

Procedures • Protocols • Passages

HISTORY MAKING SPEAKERS
    GREAT FOOD AND PRIZES

Social: Oct 2nd
    Workshop: Oct 3rd
    CJ Muggs 101 West Lockwood Ave, Webster Groves, MO 63119

Link to preregistration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-ns...ts-17887549141

Speaker list:

Mike Young – Fort Smith, AR: Team maker, and team player. He is a member of the US Deep Caving, Karst Terrain Exploration and Advanced Diver Exploration dive teams, participating in ground - breaking exploration. Owner of KISS Rebreathers, he has designed numerous products for KISS and Hollis, while constantly modifying a long list of dive equipment dedicated to extreme diving. Mike is built too push the limits of cave diving, as we know it.

Michael Angelo Gagliardi – Chicago/Florida: As master artist and diver, his list of achievements and awards continue to grow endlessly. Project and goal oriented, and most recently NSS-CDS’s Conservation Chair, Michael Angelo continues to develop his own vision for underwater art, artifact restoration and more, while participating in exploration with some of the best.

Chris Hill – Springfield, MO: Ozark Cave Diving Alliance continues to set high standards for conservation, education, and for their celebrated exploration of the Roubidoux Cave system in MO. As an active board member and diver on the team, Chris has invested a decade of service to their cause, driving home the fact that dedication to a team creates results in excellence.

Dr Pat Kambesis – Chicago, Mammoth Cave, KY: Her achievements in karst mapping are acclaimed internationally. As a “marine karst” geologist, teacher at West KY University, and explorer she’s been a member of history making cave events for decades. Pat manages operations at Hamilton Valley’s Research Facility for the Cave Research Foundation, and has partnered with Mark Wenner in coordinating all diving in Mammoth Cave, KY, and the inter-connected cave systems comprising the “longest cave in the world.”

Forrest Wilson – Atlanta, GA: A cave diving mentor to all, he has gone down in history as inventor of the cave arrow, the side - mount rebreather, plus more. Forrest is a heavy contributor to countless sump diving expeditions in TAG (TN, AL and GA) and around the world. Forrest’s dedication to the NSS- CDS as a board member is unsurpassed, as his investment of time and energy to help all who ask for it.

Mark Wenner – Nashville, TN: As the chair - person for this year’s Midwest Workshop, he resides in the center of Cave Country. As a sump diver, his experience with caving, cave diving, survey and on-rope work are the necessary disciplines. Mark is Senior Dive Officer for the National Parks Regional Dive Team – Mammoth, oversees all diving for the Cave Research Foundation’s Mammoth efforts, while coordinating State and Federal cave and dive projects with Dr. Kambesis in KY and TN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Final NSS-Add-1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	13268  

Last edited by FW; 08-15-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added updated speaker list
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

What are good lodging options in this area? Planning on attending as I would really like to dive the caves. Decided against heading out to MO for the NSS convention due to the high flooding and such. Thanks

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Sh0use View Post
    What are good lodging options in this area? Planning on attending as I would really like to dive the caves. Decided against heading out to MO for the NSS convention due to the high flooding and such. Thanks
    For Roubidoux, the best place is the All Star motel in St Roberts. For Cannonball, the best place is the Super 8 in Poplar bluff. For the workshop itself, I can't say since I haven't been to that location. Sadly these places are too far apart to commute from one place. I usually dive Friday, go to the workshop Saturday, and dive Sunday on the way home. I will probably dive Rouibdoux Friday, and Cannonball Sunday.

Sump Divers

According to Google Maps, these are the closest motels to the workshop site:

Wayside Motel
    3.6 9 reviews • Motel
    7800 Watson Rd, St. Louis, MO 63119

Duplex Motel
    3 reviews • Motel
    7898 Watson Rd, Webster Groves, MO 63119

Chippewa Motel
    2 reviews • Motel
    7880 Watson Rd, Webster Groves, MO 63119

Sump Divers

Will it ever return to Poplar Bluff???

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Will it ever return to Poplar Bluff???
    It would need somebody in the area to help organize it. It moved when Ed closed his shop. Actually St Louis is good, because you can dive two different sites.

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    For Roubidoux, the best place is the All Star motel in St Roberts. For Cannonball, the best place is the Super 8 in Poplar bluff. For the workshop itself, I can't say since I haven't been to that location. Sadly these places are too far apart to commute from one place. I usually dive Friday, go to the workshop Saturday, and dive Sunday on the way home. I will probably dive Rouibdoux Friday, and Cannonball Sunday.
    This last trip we had a bug problem at the Star. We fumagated everything once we go home before anything went into the house. I will staying at the St Roberts Super 8 for the Robinson dives. As Forrest said Super 8 in Popular Bluff is good.
    MA

Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo View Post
    This last trip we had a bug problem at the Star. We fumagated everything once we go home before anything went into the house. I will staying at the St Roberts Super 8 for the Robinson dives. As Forrest said Super 8 in Popular Bluff is good.
    MA
    Yikes, thanks for the heads up. I'll plan on staying at the St Roberts Super 8 as well. Curious, what do you mean by Robinson dives?

Forest, Those choices are very poor. If you are looking for good clean lodging I would not pick any of those. I live in the neighborhood. There are Drury's, Holiday Inn's, and others by the Hiways that are much better, safer, and less likely to give you something crawling into your suit case.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    It would need somebody in the area to help organize it. It moved when Ed closed his shop. Actually St Louis is good, because you can dive two different sites.
    Understand, thanks for the clarification.
    Is there a list of speakers?

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick