Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Caverns, Caves and Exploration! A very good trip!

As usual, we had another fantastic time. A group of nine this go around. Some stayed in the caverns, some cave, and a few of us went and did some real exploration. I cannot say enough about how Kim Davidsson and the crew at ProtecTulum accommodated us. Everyone felt challenged and left with a sense of satisfaction of achieving their goals...which says a lot considering the differences in levels of each of the divers. Protec arranged for some out of the way Cenotes for the cavern divers, gave lots of bottom time and logistics for the videographers (Kim even lent us his truck and Rosso when he saw that the cavern divers only had a small car). Everyone got to dive some caves that they haven't before. And the highlight for me, was Kim taking us out into the jungle to hunt for new cave.

I found out on this trip what's meant by "exploration fever". I'm laying line in virgin passage, solo, with tons of percolation falling down on me, gremlins going off in my head, and all I'm thinking about is how I have to empty this reel and survey everything accurately. It was such a rush!

Anyway, it's a little long, but I hope that you enjoy it.

Saw the video last night on gltd. Awesome stuff

looks like an amazing trip, and great footage/editing.

What an awesome video and production --- many thanks. Lots of familiar scenes and some I will never see, love it down there!!! Thanks again.

Working sure gets in the way of diving!

Never say never! But yeah, we love it down there. I think we've got a few more people hooked on cave diving in Mexico. Darryl, who edited the video, always said he'd never be a cave diver...I think he's changed his mind

Dear Gearhound,

Thanks for pushing the mainline in Don Lucio. Yesterday we checked the cave and the lines. Well done. I love the restriction where you have to remove one tank. And after al this work the line ends very soon . Sinds there are quiet a view t-s (or unmarked jumps), it is not clear to us, what the mainline is. Is it your plan to come back and take out the t's and changed it in jumps?

And here is a short video about our exploration in Don Lucio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJtD1hjobU

Have a nice time.
    Ps: here is my mailadres: agggruber@gmail.com

Hi Andrea,
    Don Lucio is such a beautiful cave! I'm surprised more people haven't dove it, but happy that it hasn't been destroyed by heavy traffic. We had two relatively new cave divers in our group, and I('m pretty sure it was their favourite cave on the trip (they weren't with us when we were laying line).

Regarding the lines, Kim said to leave everything that we laid. We only got two days to explore because it was at the end of our trip. We were trying to push the cave south, but the survey data looks like it keeps heading west. We will probably head back this fall to follow a few leads and clean up the line that we laid. Hopefully we can find another hole to explore while we are down there. It was actually fun hacking through the jungle looking for stuff!

I'll send you an email.

Lots of nice cave and well done production. Would love to see the list of places you visited that were not noted in the production. Since I have only made two trips there want to add to my list of places to visit.
    Best Regards
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tomhauburn View Post
    Lots of nice cave and well done production. Would love to see the list of places you visited that were not noted in the production. Since I have only made two trips there want to add to my list of places to visit.
    Best Regards
    Tom
    Hi Tom,
    There's a key in the bottom right of the video. The "arrow" divers were at Dreamgate, Angelita, Casa Cenote, The Pit, Tajma Ha, Grand Cenote, Carwash amongst others. The "cookie" divers added Caterpillar, Calimba, Zacil Ha, Don Lucio. And the "rem" divers added in Sandcrack and an unknown cenote that we hiked into the jungle to explore.

Andrea - looking good! Making me jealous! Thanks for sharing Don Lucio!