Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default UWLD 35 or Halcyon Focus?

I'm finally going to get around to buying a primary light. Of the lights I've rented, I like the UWLD 35 but on a recent trip a buddy rented a Halcyon Focus which I was digging as well. Is anyone aware of a serious side by side of these two lights that would help with my decision making?

Thanks
    Eric

Welcome to the Dark Side. We Have Cookies.

well, this isn't about the quality...but when my LD35 had an issue, I told Edd and he called bobby right then on his cell from JB and described the problem. Edd sent it off to Bobby and loaned me his to use for the rest of my trip. There are perks of dealing with a small, but solid company.

AND, have you SEEN the new latchless canisters with external charging and soon the power to run TWO light heads off one canister!?
    I mean, come on Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotus View Post
    have you SEEN the new latchless canisters with external charging and soon the power to run TWO light heads off one canister!?
    Yeah, I dove with one the last time I was in Marianna. I like the external charging, but wasn't keen on the latchless....I just know I'll loose those little blue cords.

Welcome to the Dark Side. We Have Cookies.

I really like Halcyon gear, but do yourself a favor and buy the UWLD. You'll be much happier in the long run. Both have good customer service, but Bobby will go way above and beyond.

I haven't played with the new generation. I'm happy with my old generation. You wouldn't be dissapointed if you went with the old generation.

I've been die hard HID for a long time and even after trying the UWLD for a while I was still leaning towards using my LM HID more. I upgraded the head to the 35W and it is much more like my HID. There's something about the punch it has compared to the 26W that makes it have some of the things I like about HID. Bobby explained it at Ginnie once and it made sense. It all fell out of my head 5 minutes later.

The Focus light head is huge and doesn't have anywhere near the lumens of the UWLD light. It is a single led and can focus tighter than Bobby's light but diving in clear water you will see way more cave with the Bobby light. I know someone who just got a used UWLD 26 and after claiming they loved their old HID light was amazed how much more cave the were now seeing.

in hole in the wall, when it's murky (EVERY time I've been there), I find I see farther using my backup light with a tight beam, but everywhere else that UWLD light is great. If you're worried about punch if it ever gets really hairy, find a tightly focused beam for a backup, and enjoy the bigger 35 for the rest. I have one(backup) I'll sell you for cheap as I have two and decided I want one with a wide beam...it's the non-branded version of the DRIK 1k shorty. Way brighter than some primaries I've seen (not UWLD).

ah yes, and then there's the option of buying a UWLD60 head at some point if you want to shoot video (or just see even more).

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex1836 View Post
    Yeah, I dove with one the last time I was in Marianna. I like the external charging, but wasn't keen on the latchless....I just know I'll loose those little blue cords.
    I'm really jealous of your timing...I have been kicking myself for buying my light in August since the new one came out in November. I'm not sure what cords you're talking about, I really like the new ones, but can't imagine a scenario in which I'm in the market to upgrade for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex1836 View Post
    Thank you to everyone that have good words for our lights.

When diving & traveling to remote areas I have had frustrating experiences with other lights when I couldn't fix simple problems. When we design things we try to make field repair simple with things that a diver normally has in their save a dive kit, such as the shock cord for mounting the canister. Or parts you can find easily at a store such as Walmart, that is the case with the cap retention wire. It is standard 0.95" round trimmer string. You won't find the blue however any color will work, just cut off 5" and you're back in business. The G5 design is that you only need to remove the cap occasionally to check O-ring condition. We recommend every 15-20 dives to pull the cap & check the O-rings however the rest of the time you simply charge & go while leaving the cap connected.

Bobby

The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

Local Zip Code Diver

+1 for the Bobby light. A buddy has let me borrow his UWLD a few times and it's an awesome light!!

Another vote for Bobby.