Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Solo diving at Peacock

Okay.... I'm going to get thrown under the bus for asking, but....

Does anyone actually care and/or monitor solo diving at Peacock? 99% of my cave diving has been with a partner. Did a few solo's in Ginnie, but turned each dive at 1/4 instead of 1/3's. So didn't get very far.

Actually sounds relaxing and peaceful to do a solo and run up the Peanut line or do Waterhole.

And no... I'm not running out to do it. Rules are in place for a reason. Just asking if it is an enforced rule and why it is in place.

Flame suit on

You could die... wait, you will die...wait, you will die a horrible... and that's just on the drive there!

Stay safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As a pastor I am amazed that some of my best communions with God are when I am in the underworld!

Two things: Thanks for the laugh Have been giving solo diving in general a lot of thought lately. Really not sure which side of the fence I come down on. See merits in both. Hoping this thread generates some thought provoking discussion.

Second: Really like your tag line. Had similar experiences

state park rule,
    due to the exits all over it would make a good place as it gives emergency options but rules are rules.
    I don't think its one of these rules that people ignore there, some might dive beyond the limits or whatever but almost never seen someone solo unless a lost diver or some sort of splitting off for really good reasons.

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

I once did a "meet you in the water" with two guys, then after I got in the water it started raining and they decided to skip the dive. (I guess they didn't spend extra to get the waterproof scuba gear.) Anyway, I finally gave up and went back to the truck, and Ranger Rick was sitting there writing me up. I guess I had a plausible excuse, so he only suspended me from diving there for thirty days.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

I have been asking this question for sometime now and have been getting some of the most ridiculous answers I have ever heard. Even wrote a letter to the parks hierarchy which didn't give me a answer, just a lot of political wording.
    Diving equipment and training has changed so much since I started diving that I think a review of the rules is way overdue. I was asked at REACT where I had been lately. I answered that I was diving Jackson Blue and some private caves in S. Ga. since I now dive mostly solo when I went to a rebreather.
    Now don't get me wrong, I like diving with a buddy, but being retired I also like the freedom of getting out of bed and my wife ask what I was going to do today and I answer I think I will go diving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nthewater View Post
    for asking, but....

Does anyone actually care and/or monitor solo diving at Peacock? 99% of my cave diving has been with a partner. Did a few solo's in Ginnie, but turned each dive at 1/4 instead of 1/3's. So didn't get very far.
    I would like to extend a personal invitation to solo dive at Peacock. The rangers do monitor things,and if they see something out of the ordinary they call law enforcement. If law enforcement is called and charges are filed all of us get the opportunity to buy gear that has been impounded for pennies on the dollar. The ranger logs license plate numbers,and if you are reported as diving solo,but get away before law enforcement can make it,then you may get the lifetime ban at state parks from diving (not just Peacock,and this did happen recently).

Fred asks the questions,"why can't I dive solo at state parks". State parks use the same rules we are taught in entry level scuba,which is buddy diving. This has extended to all forms of diving,and as long as organizations that support entry level scuba training teach buddy diving,then we will probably always have no solo diving. But, I have a solo diving card!!!! Good luck using that as a mechanism for changing the rules. Can the rules be changed? Possibly,but be prepared for something that can take some time-I would start with Jeff Loflin and Donald Forgione.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    I used to enjoy going to Peacock, but not any more. The people that run it are on such ego trips. Heaven forbid someone wants to stay until the posted closing time, and the ranger is ten minutes late getting his supper.

I hold a Florida State Parks Annual Pass, but I use it at other state parks.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Their house their rules, simple as that. Doesn't really matter what the arguments are or if they make sense, their rules. In terms of picking your fights this is not worth effort.

Www.artflowslikewater.com
    Brendan's Law - "Know what you're breathing. Analyze your gas for O2 and Co. Analyze your gas each time, everytime, anywhere."

Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    The people that run it are on such ego trips.
    ???????????

Heaven forbid someone wants to stay until the posted closing time, and the ranger is ten minutes late getting his supper.
    You wouldn't believe the number of times staff has had to stay well beyond closing time because of that one team that starts a 2 hour dive 30 minutes before closing. The rules that we see at state parks are due to a select few that abuse the rules,and have the staff stay overtime. I am sorry I don't share your feelings toward the ranger staff because I have seen them bend over backwards to help people,and get treated like s#@t in return. Russell you are a Florida resident,use your status as tax paying citizen to increase the budgets for staffing at the state parks,and get your wish for later closure time.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick