Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fast Water Deaths

Been in Denver for the last few days and watching more news than usual because of the weather. What caught my eye was that Denver has had three white water deaths in the past week and all they are saying is be extra careful because of the high and extremely fast water at this time because of all the snow. Now I was also here during Christmas when I received the news about the incident at Eagles Nest. Two different States, two different views on outdoor activities. And no I'm not talking about the marijuana difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. Colorado is a "no fault" state or whatever you call it from a risk standpoint. It is primarily because of skiing.

I was at vail 20 years ago and a kid skied past a sign for a cliff and killed himself. The authorities measured the distance from the sign to the cliff which was fine and the investigation was over. I don't remember the details of thier law but if someone wants to kill themselves performing a risky behavior then the land owner/manager is not at fault.

"Is this thing on?"

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    if someone wants to kill themselves performing a risky behavior then the land owner/manager is not at fault.
    This is what our country USED TO BE all about.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Cool A banner year for skiers & boaters alike !

The beginning of the Colorado River is an amazing place to see during a banner year snowfall. The first few drops (waterfalls)are eye opening, & then you have the one above Kremmling, CO. Think of the flat water above Glen Canyon dam dropping 180 feet over a spillway ! No way would i even consider running that one ! There are many class V rivers in Colorado's rivers, but none match that one waterfall above Steamboat {Kremmling} !

Last edited by JE; 06-08-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: idk
    Jack Evans

No fault is a good start I wish it was more popular.
    It would end a lot of useless banter on diving forums!
    Or would it?

JCG

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by JCGoodwin View Post
    No fault is a good start I wish it was more popular.
    It would end a lot of useless banter on diving forums!
    Or would it?

JCG
    I don't care about useless banter, just useless lawsuits!

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

In Vermont if you are using private or public lands or waters recreationally, you are presumed to be responsible for your own safety. There is no duty on the part of the landowner to keep you from being injured. Too bad every state doesn't have the same law.

According to a friend who has spent some time in Iceland, full of cliffs, hot springs, rapid rivers, and all kinds of hazards, there are very few railings, safety barriers, or warning signs. It is presumed that people have sense enough to keep themselves and their children safe. That makes a lot more sense to me than trying to idiot-proof the outdoors.

Mike

Yes, I know, anyone who uses the phrase "idiot-proof" greatly underestimates the resourcefulness of idiots.

I live in Utah much of the year and here the ski resorts are immune from lawsuits from skiers by law. The state recognizes the significance and importance of tourism dollars and subsequently makes it possible for outdoor leisure companies to protect themselves from lawsuits and thus stay in business. I think the only possible way that the diving industry can protect itself is in similar fashion by legislative effort. Anything else is cost prohibitive and will ultimately just put a bigger target on our chests.

Randy Thornton
    CCR Cave Instructor, CCR Instructor Trainer
    TDI Training Advisory Panel member

www.diveaddicts.com
    www.sub-gravity.com
    www.tekdiveusa.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Niagara_Falls

Best estimate is that 5,000 people have been killed by Niagara Falls.

To date: ZERO successful lawsuits against the Falls Parks Commission for negligence.

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

Anyone who could look at Niagara Falls and not realize that it's dangerous and something to be careful around is probably beyond help!