Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I've been to Mexico twice a year since 2003 (with a few exceptions), and I've never had a problem with gear of any kind, including a pair of LED backup lights and a pair of HID lights the last three trips (October 2014, June 2015, January 2016) in my carry-on bags. For better or worse, Cancun security is usually more understanding of dive gear than my local TSA (where cave diving is rare).

Quote Originally Posted by diver42 View Post
    ...Cancun security is usually more understanding of dive gear than my local TSA...
    LOL - worse TSA experience I ever had was in Tallahassee. I have got to believe they see a good bit of dive gear but they examined every one of my regulators, lights, and analyzers like they had never seen one before. Then I had to figure out how all my gear fit back into my carry-on

Safe diving,

Sandy Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    LOL - worse TSA experience I ever had was in Tallahassee. I have got to believe they see a good bit of dive gear but they examined every one of my regulators, lights, and analyzers like they had never seen one before. Then I had to figure out how all my gear fit back into my carry-on

Of all the places I go, Tallahassee is the only one that roots around in my dive gear on every single trip. I was doing trips thru there about every 6 weeks for a while and I would have their little inspection slip every. I was about to leave them a Christmas card when going thru in December, but thought better of it. Figured they may not appreciate some subtle sarcasm.

Welcome to the Dark Side. We Have Cookies.

Default lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    As each month passes it becomes more and more apparent that Mexicans don't want me coming to their craphole of a country.
    Not to moderate for a moderator

I just returned from a trip last week. No such "new policy". I always keep my lights in my carry on. What is your source of information besides your single experience? Moderators please demonstrate appropriate behavior and most of all respect. Xenophobia is still not cool for most Americans.

Out of maybe eight trips I've had them refuse my light in my carry on just once, but it was a pain in the neck when it happened. Whatever they do, I wish they would just be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by divin' ivan View Post
    I just returned from a trip last week. No such "new policy". I always keep my lights in my carry on. What is your source of information besides your single experience .
    Ivan did you notice that this thread and observation was posted almost 3 years ago? The "rules" and agents interpretation of them do change quite frequently.

I fly to Playa del Carmen at least once per year, during more that 10 years, and I have NEVER had problems with my hand bag. I usually carry with me the primary light, backup and video lights, diving computers, gopro, and two regulator sets.

We were flying out of Cozumel last December, we had our Primary and backup lights in our carry on with extra rechargeable batteries. They made us take the extra batteries out of our carry on's but didn't say anything about the lights or the batteries in them. Confusing.

I've flown in and out of Cancun many times with a 10 watt HID in my hand luggage. I've never had a problem in Mexico. I've sometimes been asked for lengthy explanations in Miami.

"I like to do dangerous things safely."