Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Interesting Article

Coca-Cola and Nestle Are Sucking Us Dry Without Our Even Knowing

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ithout-us.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

There's something to be said for the privatization of water. The amount of water these two are taking is nothing compared to that of the dairy farms and other commercial uses that pay nothing at all for water. fresh-water is land-bound. that makes it open to private and public ownership. just like we pump oil, refine it, and sell it for private profit, we can pump water, refine it, and sell it for private profit. the issue here is that the government has absurd regulations on who gets water for what and how much that are as about willy-nilly as anything there is - in some cases leaving states to fight over which one can take how much water from what river for which purpose. Water management regulation needs a major overhaul for sure. But I don't think coca-cola and nestle are responsible - instead we need to look at ourselves - those of us who buy soft-drinks and bottled and/or flavored water. The article says, "...sucking groundwater out of one place, bottling it, and shipping it for sale in another place that typically already has perfectly safe public water ranks high on the list of stupid things to do with scarce water." It's not coke and nestle that's doing that. It's us. those of us who buy the stuff. stop buying it and they'll stop sucking it.

what about beer? how much water is beer using? all the beer there is... as much as coke? nestle? no?

skip

"Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

Great points, Skip. And you didn't even touch on all the plastic consumed to bottle and distribute this tap water. Too few of us use reusable water bottles of aluminum, stainless, even plastic, and simply refill them from another tap water source as they get empty. And all the energy consumed in shipping tap water!

Again, if the consumer will pay for it, several companies will fight to supply it at a profit. Education of our consumers it the answer!

WJH

Zephyrhills Water is doing exactly the same thing here in Florida at Crystal Spring in Northern Hillsborough county. I refuse to drink bottled water, period. Bottled water, in the U.S. is totally unnecessary, and a huge waste of a precious resource.

I can't count the number of cave events I've attended that couldn't bother to get filtered instead of spring water...much less deciding to use cups and filtered water. Then again if you flew over the hollywood/thousand oaks area and saw the massive amount of water used to convert a desert into "nice looking" yards you'd probably get sick.

The only thing that will change our consumption is a radical rise in cost. While we let farmers, coke and anyone else pump all they want they'll continue to repackage and sell for profit. When it's cheaper for companies to filter waste water and preserve what is in the ground they'll do just that.

Take a GOOD HARD LOOK at Big Sugar and Mosaic just to name a couple of abusers. They use MILLIONS of gallons of Spring and Ground water to DILUTE their discharge to make it "SAFE" to be put back in the "SYSTEM".

10. Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

Don't be mad cause I don't care anymore, be mad because I once did and you were to blind to see it.

Exactly. Agriculture here in California uses 80% of our water; citizen consumers 20%. But this state grows much of the nation's produce. The water cost of raising livestock is something that people often don't consider. It's also fairly ridiculous that San Franciscans have cut our water use by 20% this year when we're not even reclaiming and reusing "gray water" for toilet flushing, watering lawns, etc.

Barbara/San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    Coca-Cola and Nestle Are Sucking Us Dry Without Our Even Knowing

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...ithout-us.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Anyone who thinks privatizing water is a Good idea Should think twice! Making it more expensive may indeed help, but the profit should go back to the government to be used to finance things like research, regulations, springs protection, and other critical needs. At least we have some control over them( if we can keep our voting rights). If we give our water to private companies, we won't get it back! They may take good care of it, but the end result will be the same. We won't have access to it.
    As a tax payer, I'm getting sick and tired of subsidizing other peoples get rich quick schemes.

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make Him think. - Me