Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gear Configuration

I was wondering how many cave divers configure their own gear. By this I mean install hoses in first stages, determine whether knob up or knob down, whether or not to use L and R handed valves (side mount), modify BC (wing/bp or side mount), etc. I ask because the other day I was in the LDS and guy came in with regs purchased from ebay asking the shop owner about proper side mount routing of hoses and asking him to set up his regs. The shop owner is not cave, not tech, not side mount. I was a bit taken aback having thought that all cave divers pretty much run their own show.

Now I'm wondering how many are off-the-rack cave divers. I hesitated to post this; being a nice guy and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, but dang, I've always assumed a certain gear-independence among cave divers. Now I think I may be wrong.

skip

"Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

Skip,

I configure and maintain all of my own gear and assumed that most (all?) other cave divers did as well. I have taken the advise of my instructors and other divers when making changes to my gear configuration though.

Zeb

Tracy and I have always done our own modifications and adjustments of our gear configurations. The only thing we have someone else do is overhaul our regs.

Mike

Ditto. I take care of all my gear, mods, configuration etc, but don't rebuild my own regs. I also let Steve Gamble fix my drysuit when it needs work.

max

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

I've known people who insist that anybody that is a cave diver should be able to do it all, including service their regs. I don't agree with this, but I do think they should be able to do everything but the reg servicing. Or drysuit repairs.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

I dive backmount. My general configuration is probably similar to what most other backmount cave divers are using. I do however make specific choices with regard to hose length, light cord length, and similar personal fit things. The choices I make are pretty much in line with what you have outlined in the first post.

Similar, but not "off-the-rack."

Mark Vlahos

At 50 dives, I thought I had this diving thing figured out. At 100 dives, I realized how wrong I was at 50.

Cancer survivor since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by maxguru View Post
    I also let Steve Gamble fix my drysuit when it needs work.
    Steve does our drysuit work as well, except for patching minor leaks. We used to do it ourselves, but it looks a lot better when he does it.

I have done a reg overhaul or two, of my own regs in a friend's shop. I've been tempted to buy the equipment and start doing my own, as I like messing with tools and gear, but I have too many interests already and not enough time. Also, I think that I'd rather have my regs done by someone I trust who does a lot of them than a hobbyist like myself who would do ten or a dozen a year.

Mike

I do all my own, including reg service and most drysuit repairs. But I may be a little different in that I also own a dive shop, so I do that for a living anyway....

Brian

I do what I can including constructing my harness, servicing my regulators, and tying on bolt snaps. I can't make wings yet and defer to Gamble when my drysuit leaks.

Dave

"BM is so eighties" — Phillip1

Skip, was the diver a cave diver or was the diver someone who might be interested in the current industry-wide push toward the open water sidemount experience?

Trace Malinowski
    www.scubacoachtrace.com
    ""Through all of my seasons and all of the reasons, I've stayed on this circuit for me." - Chris Ledoux