Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Deco Regulator 02 Clean?

I have a DiveRite 3100 Reg. and was told that I can use it as a Deco 02 Clean reg. I can't. Find anything online that says yes or no on this question.
    After attending the NACD Seminar last weekend I am not going to take any chances with my gas or regs.
    I purchased the hose, green, for my deco bottle but what reg should I be using. If I can use my 3100 for deco is there something I need to do to make it 02 clean?

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    I have a DiveRite 3100 Reg. and was told that I can use it as a Deco 02 Clean reg. I can't. Find anything online that says yes or no on this question.
    After attending the NACD Seminar last weekend I am not going to take any chances with my gas or regs.
    I purchased the hose, green, for my deco bottle but what reg should I be using. If I can use my 3100 for deco is there something I need to do to make it 02 clean?
    It will need to be disassembled and cleaned in one of the approved cleaning solutions. You may as well have it overhauled, since they *should* replace all the O-rings anyway. It is possible that is already O2 clean. Did you get it new, or used?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I use a 3100 as my deco regulator. Nice rugged little regulator. Some people don't like the way the 3100 breaths below 130', but that's not an issue for a deco regulator.

The 3100's are oxygen clean when sold at the factory.

BUT... Any regulator in oxygen service NEEDS to be service and oxygen cleaned on a regular basis (depending on use).

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

Regardless of brand, regardless of what the ads say, make sure. Have it done or do it yourself if you are trained to do so.

That way you will not have a doubt. After all, it is your life support equipment (and you that will have to deal with the issues that a non-oxy clean reg develops when exposed to HP oxygen...)

Dive safe,

Celia

"Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

all my regs are o2 clean so that if there is an issue with one at a dive sight I can swap out regs as needed.

9/11....... I remember .........

As soon as o2 clean items are unpacked they are no longer o2 clean.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJersey View Post
    all my regs are o2 clean so that if there is an issue with one at a dive sight I can swap out regs as needed.
    The only caveat to add to this point is that if getting fills at unknown fill stations, the regs cant be intetchanged. For example using the regs after a fill in the keys, where there has been a long history of fill stations pump far from oca gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by huxley View Post
    As soon as o2 clean items are unpacked they are no longer o2 clean.
    That is actually correct, and why my O2 reg only is on my O2 bottle and is only removed just long enough to re-fill the bottle. I don't touch the Oring or any part of the reg that goes in the neck of the bottle
    I've seen someone who had just eaten good Southern fried chicken loosen the fill adapter on an O2 bottle, the couple of hundred PSI was enough when it hit the little bit of chicken oil on his hand to burn the stew out of his hand, and yes he had wiped his hand off well, but not washed it. It doesn't take much

Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    I've seen someone who had just eaten good Southern fried chicken loosen the fill adapter on an O2 bottle, the couple of hundred PSI was enough when it hit the little bit of chicken oil on his hand to burn the stew out of his hand, and yes he had wiped his hand off well, but not washed it. It doesn't take much
    Intersting story and thanks for sharing. The irony is that I see welding equipment laying in the back of farm trucks with hay,petrochemicals etc covering the equipment,and they never have a problem.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Intersting story and thanks for sharing. The irony is that I see welding equipment laying in the back of farm trucks with hay,petrochemicals etc covering the equipment,and they never have a problem.
    Back before my Army days I used to be a contract welder in the oil field in Tx and OK. Most all of us had "backfire" valves on our torches, things did happen. I've seen burnt hoses and busted regs, but thankfully nothing happened to the bottles.