Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Out of town diver looking for recommendations in the Ft Lauderdale area

OK, maybe Scubaboard might have been a better choice for this but this is my "home forum".

I have a friend that is looking for some reef diving in the Fort Lauderdale area. He is a twice a year vacation diver and does not belong on a tech trip. Any suggestions?
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

We go there often in the summer. This is where we stay, dive, and even scooter. Its right on the beach. Everything is close by, so we never drive anywhere... except maybe for tank refills if we didn't bring enough... You can say you are with the Dayo group, but that might only work when we are there... My next trip is the weekend of Aug 18.

http://alittleinnhotel.com/
    Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Cave & Technical Instructor/IT, TDI, NSS CDS, NACD, IANTD, ERDI, SDI, PADI
    Dayo Scuba
    Orlando, Florida

is he looking for boat dives, shore dives (lots), etc?
    If he wants to go up to West Palm, I hear Pura Vida is pretty good ...
    2 boat ops near 17th St Causeway in FLL but the better boat dives are in Pompano Beach....South Florida Diving Headquarters, ScubaTyme (IMHO a better choice for the 2x/year diver), Pompano Dive Center....Commercial Blvd is the happening shore dive reef spot. Tons and tons of hotels to choose from.
    Or just have him go with TJ.
    ----
    Cave Mann

He's looking for dives, TJ, not a hotel. I'm surprised you didn't direct him to a Chinese restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter View Post
    He's looking for dives, TJ, not a hotel. I'm surprised you didn't direct him to a Chinese restaurant.
    Why, do they have a Chinese dive master?
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by whodunit68 View Post
    is he looking for boat dives, shore dives (lots), etc?
    If he wants to go up to West Palm, I hear Pura Vida is pretty good ...
    2 boat ops near 17th St Causeway in FLL but the better boat dives are in Pompano Beach....South Florida Diving Headquarters, ScubaTyme (IMHO a better choice for the 2x/year diver), Pompano Dive Center....Commercial Blvd is the happening shore dive reef spot. Tons and tons of hotels to choose from.
    Or just have him go with TJ.
    Thanks Steve

Yeah, I know a thing or two about Palm Beach/Jupiter diving. Pura Vida is exactly the type of operation I would refer him to if I knew of one in FLL. He asked about FLL to MIA, but as I believe he is staying in FLL ...

i will be happy to pass along your recommendations
    -Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    Thanks Steve

Yeah, I know a thing or two about Palm Beach/Jupiter diving. Pura Vida is exactly the type of operation I would refer him to if I knew of one in FLL. He asked about FLL to MIA, but as I believe he is staying in FLL ...

i will be happy to pass along your recommendations
    Jeff, my opinion is that ScubaTyme (Pompano Beach) was the closest to Pura Vida of the options. I would *not* recommend Miami Beach (nothing that I know of in Miami.) While I openly admit that I've not gone out with RJDV in Miami Beach, that was a deliberate choice. I do not know the ops in FLL. I think you might want to post this on the board related to decompression and other technical diving - there's a fairly heavy SoFl contingent there. Good luck!
    ----
    Cave Mann

Have him call Bill @ Sea Experience, he runs a very good recreational dive op. I captained one of his boats 10 years or so ago. They run out of Bahi Mar marina in Ft Lauderdale.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Bobby

UW Light Dude
    Light Technology For Serious Divers!

Local Zip Code Diver

Ill second the recommendation for sea experience. American dream II would be another good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't direct him to a Chinese restaurant.
    Well, I can't comment on Chinese restaurants, but if you want Barbeque, its hard to beat Ernie's on South Federal.
    "If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going."
    "When your IQ rises to 28, sell."

Professor Irwin Corey, the Worlds Foremost Authority
    born July 29th, 1914 happy 100th Birthday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxtN0xxzfsw