Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Om-Nom the Tetra, trapped in a cave?

(this post may be too silly for other forums)

I was at Temple of Doom today for my final day of a long Quintana Roo trip. Tomorrow I drive back to the states. I took the cavern line starting behind the ladder, went left on it, and then took the first jump right onto a gold line.

After a bit of swimming this tetra suddenly shows up, in a freshwater section. It was long and skinny, but extremely hyperactive and voraciously hungry. I'd shine my light on a cave nom (plentiful in ToD) and it would be devoured within seconds. This was strangely entertaining for me. This tetra was also unusually willing to go far away from my light from time to time. Eventually, we parted ways as I got deeper into the cave and back into saltwater.

Here's a fairly close look-alike, though the real Om-Nom has a wider "bridge" between the body and fin.
    omnom_lookalike.jpg

On my way out, I instantly recognized Om-Nom and I was complicit in making it easy for him to find food. After we parted ways it dawned upon me -- poor Om-Nom is (and probably has been for awhile) stuck in the cave, and I have no way to save him since I'll be gone tomorrow.

Would a kind soul (who plans on visiting Temple of Doom sometime soon) rescue this poor tetra, who may very well have been trapped in this cave for weeks?

It's "The Temple of Doom", not "Cavern of the Savior" ijs

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by sarysa View Post
    ...On my way out, I instantly recognized Om-Nom and I was complicit in making it easy for him to find food....
    PLEASE don't "feed" the Tetras! They don't belong in the cave, and you are feeding them rare, cave adapted, stygobites (cave adapted "critters"). Try not to bring any Tetras in with you, and if you find any, try to coax them to follow you out. They like to follow your lights, and are a threat to natural cave life.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Not sure it is fair play, but exiting the cave with the lights off, usually leaves the Tetras behind and the stygobites will eventually "feed" on the Tetras.

Either way, man's activity is altering the natural cave ecosystem, which is not so good.

www.rebreathermallorca.com - Just as equipment is not an acceptable substitute for the appropriate skill and experience, skill and experience are not an acceptable substitute for appropriate equipment. Plan all diving so that it can be completed safely without the action or inaction of a fellow diver.

Quote Originally Posted by gianaameri View Post
    Not sure it is fair play, but exiting the cave with the lights off, usually leaves the Tetras behind and the stygobites will eventually "feed" on the Tetras.

Either way, man's activity is altering the natural cave ecosystem, which is not so good.
    Entering the cave with lights off is even better, as the Tetras won't follow divers into the cave. Just try not to silt the place out

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Entering the cave with lights off is even better, as the Tetras won't follow divers into the cave. Just try not to silt the place out
    Hey, had not thought about that one yet!

www.rebreathermallorca.com - Just as equipment is not an acceptable substitute for the appropriate skill and experience, skill and experience are not an acceptable substitute for appropriate equipment. Plan all diving so that it can be completed safely without the action or inaction of a fellow diver.

Quote Originally Posted by gianaameri View Post
    Hey, had not thought about that one yet!
    Some of the guides have. I did several "lights out" drills going into Mexican caves

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Some of the guides have. I did several "lights out" drills going into Mexican caves
    There is always something to learn from a fellow cave diver.

Thank-you.

I suppose the experience and sensation of going in lights out is also very nice

Ah, my apologies then. Though to be fair, this wasn't my tetra to begin with. (but lights out on the way in sounds like a good idea)

I think this tetra has been blindly feeding on [s]cave noms[/s] stygobites on its own for some time. Its erratic swimming (probably bumped into the walls many times) and unusual body shape combined with the abundance of those critters in Temple of Doom does paint a picture of potential self-survival. There's nothing a cave diver can do to not be complicit in its feeding frenzy except swim a 700 foot section with two intersections in the dark...

I haven't been cave diving for very long, but Om-Nom was different enough from the other tetras to earn half a page on my journal!

Quote Originally Posted by sarysa View Post
    Ah, my apologies then...
    Thanks for understanding.

Sump Divers