Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Sidemount Stage Rigging

I've never been satisfied with the way a top mounted stage tank sits. While it's possible to get the bottom from floating too much when the tank is full it will inevitably start to float as you breathe gas from it. By the end of the dive it will be at least at a 45 degree angle. I've played around with the rigging most people are using and gotten it as snug as I could but it just isn't snug enough for me. I want this:

Not this

Recently I decided there just wasn't anything I could do with that rigging and that something had to change other than just adjusting the position of the worm gear clamp. Well, I finally figured something out that keeps the stage tank down the entire dive. The stage tank will not move from its position even when it's empty.

Here's more on what I'm doing:

Sidemount Stage Rigging

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Nicely done, Rob...

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Thanks, Rob! I've been wondering how to fix this problem and now I have a solution to work on.

Maybe its just because I'm so buoyant that I need a lot of lead, but my simple solution is to put a cam strap around the bottom of all aluminum bailout/stage bottles with a 3 or 4 pound weight and shorten the bottom tether so the tank is horozontal whether it is full or empty. Steel tanks is another solution for me. Of course if you don't need the weight, these aren't good solutions.

Keep in mind that clipping to the front will seem a little difficult at first. However, with some practice it becomes 2nd nature. I had some difficulties the first few times. A large, heavy clip on the bottom bungee makes it easier to get the bungee to the front. Then you need to stretch that bungee out completely to clip onto the D-ring. I tried it vertically and it doesn't work. I can easily do it now in a silty cave horizontally and not stir up any bit of silt. I couldn't have done that the first time!

As for weights on the AL80s, I used to do this, too. I used 3 lb weights and they kept the tanks down just fine. However, in my Razor and a 3mm shorty I am very overweighted. But even aside from that, I got caught on the line a few times in smaller passages because of the weights. The line rode up in between the weight and the cam band. I had inner tube around the strap to prevent thee line from doing that but I didn't account for the line getting trapped along the top portion of the weight. Not a good thing when you are sandwiched in a passage that is 8-10 inches tall and backing up just pulls the line back with you because it is caught up that much between the weight and the cam band and tank!!! I took the weights off to avoid this happening again! I do need a little weight at the end of the dive so I ended up placing a weight on the inside back of my Razor to make me neutral at the end of the dive and avoid any kind of line entanglement.

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Rob

Nice write up...

Can you take some pictures on the surface with the clip points?

Thanks

Mark

I'll be trying this soon, I'm a lot shorter than you are, 5'10". hopefully it will work for me, I've thought to try something like this but haven't, I was first going to try attaching my stages to my sidemount tanks with a bungee loop, but this looks a lot better, anything to get the tails of the tanks down.

Was doing a double stage sidemount dive the other day and was trying to come up with something on the way out. This sounds and looks like a great idea. I'm going to change a couple stages over and try this.

Thanks!!

This nice thing about this is it's cheap and easy to put together, especially if you already have stage rigging. All it takes is 2 clips, a worm gear clamp, and some bungee. Less than $20 and you're set up. Or a couple of dollars in bungee to modify current rigging. No need to spend a lot of money on stage rigging packages.

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC