Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Decompression algorithm modifications/recommendations

Like anyone who dove Friedman's Sink (Chiefland, FL) this summer, I was plagued by ticks. I'm no fan of the little arachnids, but my conscience was bothered by the fact that those unfortunate ones who'd attached to me prior to the dive were unable do survive it. Since members of the order Ixodidae can easily tolerate immersion to depths in excess of 30 meters for periods of several hours, they did not die from drowning; rather, they did not survive the decompression.

As a Stage 4 Vegan™, I do not allow myself to intentionally harm animal life, of any kind or for any reason. As a cave diver, I feel a responsibility to anyone (thing?) that goes diving with me, whether I invited them along or not. So my question for the community is: are there any appropriate modifications to tables/algorithms/gradient factors I could make to accommodate decompression for the little hitchhikers? In my attempts so far, a Bülhmann ZHL-16C with GF ranging from 30/75 to 15/55 do not do the trick. Perhaps I should try some recreation trimix, like 21/55?

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Like anyone who dove Friedman's Sink (Chiefland, FL) this summer, I was plagued by ticks. I'm no fan of the little arachnids, but my conscience was bothered by the fact that those unfortunate ones who'd attached to me prior to the dive were unable do survive it. Since members of the order Ixodidae can easily tolerate immersion to depths in excess of 30 meters for periods of several hours, they did not die from drowning; rather, they did not survive the decompression.

As a Stage 4 Vegan™, I do not allow myself to intentionally harm animal life, of any kind or for any reason. As a cave diver, I feel a responsibility to anyone (thing?) that goes diving with me, whether I invited them along or not. So my question for the community is: are there any appropriate modifications to tables/algorithms/gradient factors I could make to accommodate decompression for the little hitchhikers? In my attempts so far, a Bülhmann ZHL-16C with GF ranging from 30/75 to 15/55 do not do the trick. Perhaps I should try some recreation trimix, like 21/55?
    While I appreciate your dedication to all lifeforms....sometimes a being must follow its destiny and pay the price for the decisions it makes. RIP blood sucking parasites everywhere.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. - Derek Bok, President Harvard University.

Perhaps they don't like Buhlmann-based algorithms. Isn't there a version of VPM especially for Ixodides spp - VPM-T?

Were you wearing a drysuit (a deco habitat)? If so, perhaps consider the gaseous composition of the atmosphere, especially the methane concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post

OK, I promise I am not trying to be a dick, but I have to ask...

Is this a joke/sarcasm or is this a serious question?

"I dove beyond my limits"

-The Giant Grass Carp in JB

Quote Originally Posted by floridakid View Post
    OK, I promise I am not trying to be a dick, but I have to ask...

Is this a joke/sarcasm or is this a serious question?

HAHA---+1 --- You gotta be joking...

What the heck is a level 4 vegan? Their are levels to that stuff?

It's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    What the heck is a level 4 vegan? Their are levels to that stuff?
    Damn ... where have you been??? level 4 vegans ONLY eat plants that died naturally..if you picked it off the vine, dug it up out of the hole or chopped it ..its level three.

You must steal the tomatoes or the squash...or find it already dead...you army guys are just way to insensitive these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    Damn ... where have you been??? level 4 vegans ONLY eat plants that died naturally..if you picked it off the vine, dug it up out of the hole or chopped it ..its level three.

You must steal the tomatoes or the squash...or find it already dead...you army guys are just way to insensitive these days...
    Lol. Damn. One day I will learn this stuff. My nephew is vegan, maybe I should find out what level so I don't accidentally give him something made from harvested crops. Is their such a thing as organic free range vegetables? Is growing crops for consumption, even if you don't slaughter them and let them fall from the plants, considered ethical? Whew. I have a lot to learn.

It's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years.

Moderated

There are a lot of nuts in this world.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

I'm on the other end of the equation, I like to know that all the food I eat has been killed for me to eat.