Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo Diving

Default Solo Diving

This past weekend I started my solo diving venture at Mill Pond. I have been thinking about it for some time and this weekend presented the perfect oppurtunity so I seized it. I have countless solo dives in the ocean and lakes but this was my first solo cave dive. I was taking it kick by kick, if I got uneasy at all I had it set in my mind I would turn the dive. I ended up almost making it to the second T in JB on my first dive, my second solo dive I ran up on Edd in the middle of a class(lost buddy drill)sorry Edd. My third solo dive was by far the best, i was the first diver in the water Sunday morning, I ran the line and I was off on a mission. I ran gold back to 900' and stopped I then proceeded to OK the line with my right hand and then I turned off my primary light. if you have ever done this you know exactly what I mean when I say WOW what a feeling. I can't remember the last time I felt that relaxed, in the dark totally alone with only my thoughts to keep me company. I will continue to dive with my buddies, but I will most certainly move forward with solo diving as well.

I know how you feel. I did a solo cave dive at Little River a while back. It was a good dive and very relaxing with no one else to worry about. And by that I mean no one to keep up with or make sure is keeping up with me. I did however meet another guy who was diving solo and after his dive, we got fills and dove Peacock. I guess solo diving can be a good way to meet new buddies...

Know that feeling well, it is my favorite stress therapy ), 50% of my cave dives are solo dives. I favor diving with my friends but when they are not available I do not hesitate to go explore on my own.

A solo dive after at get off work in the morning is one of my favorite and most effective methods for destressifying after a rough shift.

"I dove beyond my limits"

-The Giant Grass Carp in JB

JB would be an awesome solo dive. In a cave with plenty of room I take a stage, as a third gas source. My buddy "Al". About the only thing I do worry about is vertigo. In an ideal solo dive, I'll have a buddy outside who'se agreed to come and look for me if I'm late returning (if there's one around then I do plan this, just in case). My plan if I burst an ear-drum is to sit on the roof with tons of gas till I get towed out. Fingers crossed that never happens.

I know what you mean about the allure of total darkness. You might want to hold your light into your side, and not turn it off (just in case it won't fire up again).

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBuzzacott View Post
    JB would be an awesome solo dive. In a cave with plenty of room I take a stage, as a third gas source. My buddy "Al". About the only thing I do worry about is vertigo. In an ideal solo dive, I'll have a buddy outside who'se agreed to come and look for me if I'm late returning (if there's one around then I do plan this, just in case). My plan if I burst an ear-drum is to sit on the roof with tons of gas till I get towed out. Fingers crossed that never happens.

I know what you mean about the allure of total darkness. You might want to hold your light into your side, and not turn it off (just in case it won't fire up again).
    Hmmmm. Does this mean you didn't like that dive there with Harry and me?????

On my way to the Land of Enchantment!

Vertigo? I understand it, know that there are many types of Vertigo and can tell you that in almost all cases as long as you have a visual horizon, it can be tolerated, but you won't be having fun. In other words as long as you have a light source and don't silt out, you should be OK. Have you ever experienced Vertigo before?

Sometimes on ending a dive with some deco at JB, I'll turn my light out at the top of the chimney, after a couple of minutes you dark adapt and can see quite well, if it's in the afternoon, even better. I'll lolly gag around in the cavern and if it's not much deco of course it'll clear

Time Out User

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBuzzacott View Post

Not fun in JB, happened to me once. I really though it was possible I wouldn't make it out. I was solo too.

Me, myself, and I

The perfect three man team, I know them better than any other diver and we dive together so frequently we all know what each other is thinking without even using light or hand signals.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Time Out User

Does anybody think we need a solo diving forum? Just so those of us who engage in it can discuss our ways.