Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Springs are dying-FAST

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2...under-pressure

Interesting article that all cave divers should read. The springs we enjoy are dying,and many of the springs we enjoy are considered,"dead". If you want a sport for the future,it is time to be proactive.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

rain dance?

Dive safe,

Celia

"Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    ...Buddha

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''
    - John Wayne

For whatever reason we like to blame water bottlers etc., but I think Agriculture uses a whole lot more water than we realize. Dry land farming is reasonable and productive, just not as productive as irrigation, so if you want to make money, you irrigate. Find a way to make dry land farming more profitable than irrigation and you would cut water use down a whole lot., I think.
    The other thing that I don't know, is how much water and nitrogen goes into a golf course?

Seems the best way to make dry farming more profitable would be to tie tax benefits to using less water. I'd bet more farmers would be interested if that was possible...course that requires lawyers and politicians, two groups we have little/no representation in...

Did you see any critters in that cave? StygoBites.com

I think it would take some kind of Government subsidies, I'm not smart enough to know how to do it, maybe taxes is the way. But as long as it pays to pump huge amounts of water out of the ground, there will be more and more water pumped.
    I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the last couple of years have been very good to farmers and the amount of land in production has increased tremendously, and therefore the amount of water use has increased too, so we are in I think a 12 year drought and increasing water usage daily.

Quote Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
    I think it would take some kind of Government subsidies, I'm not smart enough to know how to do it, maybe taxes is the way. But as long as it pays to pump huge amounts of water out of the ground, there will be more and more water pumped.
    I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the last couple of years have been very good to farmers and the amount of land in production has increased tremendously, and therefore the amount of water use has increased too, so we are in I think a 12 year drought and increasing water usage daily.
    We all have to eat,so we depend on Ag,but I have noticed an increase in center pivots. For example,on hwy 51 just a little north of Peacock,was clearcut,cleared,and now is for row crops;the same thing just south of Lafayette blue. Why the shift from tree farms,and up surge in row crops with center pivots-what has changed in agrinomics? I agree with your comment,we are at a critical point with increased usage,but the drought is prolonged. Doesn't take long to figure out this deficit will have a serious impact on the areas we like. I know there has been some karst activity on the Withlacoochee in Georgia,which makes wonder if we'll see events like what happened on 252 outside Lake City. I have to credit to Annette and Mark Long,and I think listening to the information they have been circulating is important for us as cavedivers before our "play ground" is gone.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Commodity pricing is up way up, and I think you will find a lot of that increased production is field corn, and a whole lot of that is for ethanol production, which to make it profitable is Government subsidized. I believe but can't prove that to be economical without the subsidies, it takes +$4 gl. fuel
    It's not food crops that are being planted for the most part.

Moderated

If you want to know who is taking the water... Push on the WMDs to meter all commercial wells.

You can't fix a problem until you know the "big players".

I think you would find quickly that Ag is the LARGEST pull on the water table by far...

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

Quote Originally Posted by Tegg View Post
    If you want to know who is taking the water... Push on the WMDs to meter all commercial wells.

You can't fix a problem until you know the "big players".

I think you would find quickly that Ag is the LARGEST pull on the water table by far...
    Good luck on that.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Water permits should be tied to rainfall.

Any finance person knows you budget based on expected income.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1987
    "But nothing gets accomplished in sidemount!"