Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cool Snake ! Dead or Alive ?

3 of us were geared up & doing our S drills prior to a quiet, rainy morning in the duckweek above the cavern into Snake. Two guys in dry clothes above us on dry land were asking some really dumb questions: "are there any fish in there" or "how long will your dive be" or how far does it go " Odd questions to ask 3 divers ready to submerge......My brother answered one of the questions: "Yea we see fish in here" Then we submerged. 20 minutes into the dive, i wrote a message on a slate: Odd questions from locals ??? I thumbed the dive....We egressed towards the head pool. 15 minutes later we found our van broken into, and all of our cash & credit cards taken, but our cameras & other gear remained !
    Comes to mind.....will a Glock fire after a dive ? & if so, will it be useful ?
    Interesting protection to say the least. Probably too late anyhow, lest they are caught in the act !

Administrator Forum Admin

The "how long will your dive be", at an isolated location, from unfamiliar people, that's a clue.

Yes, a pistol will fire after being submerged, or while submerged. Fresh water won't really hurt it, but you'd want to dry it off well afterward. Taking it to depth might force water into the ammunition making it useless. If you want to keep something with you at spots like that, a cannister and a compact pistol might be better.

Where at? OG?

"...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by TONY CHANEY View Post
    Where at? OG?
    First post and the title says snake.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
    The "how long will your dive be", at an isolated location, from unfamiliar people, that's a clue.

Yes, a pistol will fire after being submerged, or while submerged. Fresh water won't really hurt it, but you'd want to dry it off well afterward. Taking it to depth might force water into the ammunition making it useless. If you want to keep something with you at spots like that, a cannister and a compact pistol might be better.
    If you decide to concealed carry on your dive, I recommend a revolver over an autoloader. I've done this on more than one occasion (mainly when diving Telford @ 3am). Cleaning a revolver is far easier. I had a taurus 5-shot .357 I used to carry in my drysuit pocket for Suwanee Blue, and then placed it into an old AUL light canister for the deeper dives. I would stash the gat with my O2 bottle inside the cavern then open it up right before exiting.

Yes, I have a healthy paranoia when it comes to self-defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

OK where is Snake?

Hand load and seal the primer and the bullet with lacquer. Your not really considering carrying on a dive are you?

Snake is in Lafayette Blue State Park if I recall the name correctly. Other sinkholes of the system are all on the private property. Are you guys serious? Tresspassing w/deadly weapon or intend to use for not self defense? What kinda "ground" would be you "standing" there?

It's not trespassing when you never leave the water. Plus having to deal with possibly dangerous florida f***tards is a legit concern at a lot of sites.

Did you call the police and get a good look at these folks?
    The worst weapon is the one unloaded at home when you need it, lots of remote areas around here are best explored while armed. I typically keep my keltec in a drysuit pocket without a round in the chamber, magazine full. I could care less about stuff getting stolen, it's our lives I'll protect without question.

Did you see any critters in that cave? StygoBites.com