Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Level

Default Water Level

Just dove Orange Grove, looks to be 3-4 ft. lower than late last summer! Lamar, larry and paul H. said P-1 is the lowest they have ever seen. What is the danger of something falling like a big slab of rock like happened in Gennie Ball Room ten years ago?

FYI, Last year a huge slab fell in Jackson Blue.

I get a little nervous in the peanut line breakdown room for that very reason

At breakfast in Nell's restaurant a couple of months ago I was sitting at the "community table" -- all the good ole boys and old phartzz. One man who claimed and looked to be 85 said he remembers when the river was lower than it is now.

If memory serves me..he reckoned it was in the 1950's when he saw it lower..

Then he said, pass the grits.

Quote Originally Posted by floridakid View Post
    I get a little nervous in the peanut line breakdown room for that very reason
    That isn't where I'd be worried. 1050 up the Peanut line and the Peanut restriction
    "Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Well, at least you have several get outs at Peacock unless a rock hits you in the head. The river comes and goes, I'm worried about the hydrology within the aguifer and the pressure on the roof of our caves?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wyatt View Post
    One man who claimed and looked to be 85 said he remembers when the river was lower than it is now.

If memory serves me..he reckoned it was in the 1950's when he saw it lower..

Then he said, pass the grits.
    The USGS data on stream discharge and elevation would suggest that water levels and discharges, at least at the Branford station (by Nell's), are the lowest that have been recorded at that station.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv?cb...rred_module=sw
    Jason Gulley

Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    The USGS data on stream discharge and elevation would suggest that water levels and discharges, at least at the Branford station (by Nell's), are the lowest that have been recorded at that station.

Wow that certainly puts some perspective on things.
    "With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post

Discharge yes, but the mid '50s river levels look about the same as now, so the old guy wasn't that far off.
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Is P1 so low that backmounted 104's might be a hopeless situation on exit?
    Gauge says 4300 PSI??? That's what I call Doin' It Right!