Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carlisle View Post
    LOL. You are welcome
    Pure evil I say!

Quote Originally Posted by TracyN View Post
    LoL! Don't worry there is no danger of me ever trying on a rebreather. I have no desire to do that. There is too much to maintain and monitor and too much that can go wrong. I want to enjoy the cave not monitor equipment the whole time.
    Someone please note the date and time of this post. We shall see..............

LoL! Don't worry there is no danger of me ever trying on a rebreather. I have no desire to do that. There is too much to maintain and monitor and too much that can go wrong. I want to enjoy the cave not monitor equipment the whole time.
    Boy, do I remember saying that! Now my RB is my preferred rig. Good luck!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    82d Sig Bn '87-90...DCO - Hooaaahh!

Tracy, look at Faber LP85s rather than HP100s. Perhaps better buoyancy characteristics for same physical dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bil View Post
    Boy, do I remember saying that! Now my RB is my preferred rig. Good luck!
    I actually feel "disadvantaged" diving OC as compared to my CCR. At least if I get stuck, entagled, navigationally-confused, silted-out beyond all recognition, time constrained in my CCR rig - I've got (theoretically) hours to figure it out. Obviously, the reduced time pressure is a luxury that comes with other considerations.

But you're right, that try-dive is an easy $10,000 check to Neptune.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter View Post
    Someone please note the date and time of this post. We shall see..............
    LoL! For one the price would have to come way down.

LoL! For one the price would have to come way down.
    If price is the issue, consider: I added up my outlay for my 2 sm rigs, 8 sets of Regs, 6 steel tanks, a few AL 80's, 2 AL 40's, and various B/P's and wings. Comes to just shy of $6000.

Cost per 2 hr OC dive is at least $25.00 for Nitrox and O2.

Conversely : I purchased a used factory reconditioned Meg for $4500, complete and ready to dive.

Cost for the same 2 hour dive is about $8.00 for O2, dil, and sorb.

Annual expenses are O2 sensors at about $240 total.

So really, money isn't an issue. Diving or equipment philosophies are the main factor.

But no matter which way you ultimately go (and I do both OC and CCR), the important thing is to get training and experience. You seem to be enjoying it so far - welcome to a lifelong obsession!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    82d Sig Bn '87-90...DCO - Hooaaahh!

I'm convinced diving doubles is just cave diving initiation, it's pre-sidemount hazing

So, let me ask this question...

I'm in the same boat, love my doubles but leaning more and more towards sidemount. Since there is no one around me diving doubles or sidemount what's the best way to learn the techniques? I'm not interested in a card or certificate, just want someone to show me the ropes in setting the tanks up hose routing, etc... Do I bite the bullet and pay for a class or struggle to figure it out on my own?

Or... If someone is willing to do a ballroom dive at ginnie next time im in town to show me the down and dirty I'll pay for Air and Beer!!

The wormhole is much easier in backmount. Anything pipe shaped is better in BM, but the other 99.95% of cavediving is better in SM.
    Gauge says 4300 PSI??? That's what I call Doin' It Right!