Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Rob and Jim,

Thanks for the replies. I will try to do some more research in to them.
    It's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years.

Quote Originally Posted by rotor60driver View Post
    Okay I understand the good that was done with the CO analyzer, but is it not a bigger deal that they were planning on using gear that hadn't been used for a few years and they didn't know where the fill came from. Had they just checked over their equipment better and pulled some valves on old tanks this would have also been avoided.
    I guess it is how you look at it. For me I believe that when the cylinders were used is far less important than the fact that they had CO in them and the only way to tell was with a CO monitor or to viz the cylinders. I have a lot of cylinders and some of them won't be used for a couple of years depending on the diving I am doing. I, like may others, will not dump the gas in them just to see what the inside looks like. I check the gas content and go with them.

Bottom line is that I have had too many friends die of CO poisoning, have now had another friend have CO in their cylinders, and we are very glad we now carry and use a CO monitor.
    Bobby

UW Light Dude
    Light Technology For Serious Divers!

Local Zip Code Diver

The new TDI Understanding Nitrox Manual discusses the potential for CO produced by compressors that don't supply oxygen compatible air. Apparently compressor oil, with a hot, fast fill, and with elevated levels of oxygen, i.e. nitrox, can form CO solely from the heat and pressure of the fill.

There are two ways to mitigate this threat, with only one way to truly mitigate. First, always ask for oxygen compatible air, even when only getting an air fill (cleaner is better Right?). Secondly, always know your gas. This means you need to analyze each and every fill for 02 and CO.

I have had instances before where I asked for an air fill, and received EAN34. When I analyzed the mix, I showed the fill station, and they were surprised. They found that they had used the wrong bank of gas. I guess they stock air, 32, and 36. They had just done a 36 fill, and left that bank on. The partial air fill that I had left ended up mixing with the 36 to come out with 34.

Thankfully I was not planning a deep dive. But could you imagine a CO hit, on a high 02 mix, while deep? EAN34 has a MOD of 122 ffw. Had I planned a 130' dive, which is easily done on air, I would have been at a high risk for CNS. Especially in the cold water.

Moral of the story? Know your mix. Excellent job on adverting disaster

We've been using co analyzers for almost three years now. It's hard to believe that folks are negative about the costs after all the money we spend already on training and gear.

The analyzer on the left is an older KWJ co monitor, had to fill the bag with gas and then wait 5 min for the analysis. It caught a high co tank in mexico and that instance alone made it's cost and all future analyzers a no brainer for me.

The analyzer on the right is an Analox brand co analyzer. I really like it...however it really doesn't matter what you purchase; Purchase one and use it on every tank!

If you really want to measure folks logic and attitudes ask your shop to have one available for testing, install an inline co monitor and publish quarterly results online Never seen a group of older, obese goofballs get so aggressive...except maybe with their online macho personas.
    Did you see any critters in that cave? StygoBites.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kthompso View Post
    The new TDI Understanding Nitrox Manual discusses the potential for CO produced by compressors that don't supply oxygen compatible air. Apparently compressor oil, with a hot, fast fill, and with elevated levels of oxygen, i.e. nitrox, can form CO solely from the heat and pressure of the fill.

There are two ways to mitigate this threat, with only one way to truly mitigate. First, always ask for oxygen compatible air, even when only getting an air fill (cleaner is better Right?). Secondly, always know your gas. This means you need to analyze each and every fill for 02 and CO.

I have had instances before where I asked for an air fill, and received EAN34. When I analyzed the mix, I showed the fill station, and they were surprised. They found that they had used the wrong bank of gas. I guess they stock air, 32, and 36. They had just done a 36 fill, and left that bank on. The partial air fill that I had left ended up mixing with the 36 to come out with 34.

Thankfully I was not planning a deep dive. But could you imagine a CO hit, on a high 02 mix, while deep? EAN34 has a MOD of 122 ffw. Had I planned a 130' dive, which is easily done on air, I would have been at a high risk for CNS. Especially in the cold water.

Moral of the story? Know your mix. Excellent job on adverting disaster
    Oxygen compatible air is not immune from CO. The same thing can happen with compressors running extra filtration. The Cozumel incident was a result of a nitrox cylinder not an air cylinder. Also, I have a friend that analyzed his O2 and found 17ppm CO in it with 2 different CO analyzers.
    Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers
    Cozumel Caves Expeditions

"Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have had bad air a few times in the 50 or so years I have been diving...
    I know too many people who never got to live 50 years...... I want to hear the stories...Have you written any books???
    Last edited by FW; 03-25-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Boru View Post
    I know too many people who never got to live 50 years...... I want to hear the stories...Have you written any books???
    I am working on it. I keep adding chapters faster than I can write
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

at that rate you'll be a ghost writer by the time the book is finished!

skip
    "Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    at that rate you'll be a ghost writer by the time the book is finished!

skip
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Working on the book or working on the 50 years?!