Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 112
  1. #81
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches®
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,263

    Default

    Whenever people use the words "budget" and "new car" in the same sentence I just wonder. A three-year-old car is just about as good for half the money.
    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  2. #82
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    Whenever people use the words "budget" and "new car" in the same sentence I just wonder. A three-year-old car is just about as good for half the money.
    Yup - I always buy a two or three year old low mileage vehicle and then run it until it's toast. I bought my 2001 Toyota Tacoma in 2003 with 30,000 miles on it. It now has 210,000 miles on it and has never given me any trouble. I drive it back and forth to work every day. The best part is that it has been paid for since 2006.

  3. #83

    Default

    Down here in Tulum I have seen a ton of small, efficient hatchbacks with enough room for a full cave kit plus stages & scooters. The one thing they all have in common: None of these vehicles are sold in the States

    Hyundai Atos
    Volkswagon Fox
    Ford Ka
    Nissan March
    Chevy Spark


  4. #84

    Default

    I'm going to stick to my trusty old Land Rovers as I was in my 2004 this past Sunday and was involved in an accident while driving back from a photo shoot in south Florida on I-95.
    I'm fine, as is my camera, computer and dive gear but my Discovery took one for the team and now I'm on the look-out for another used one.
    When I finally came to a stop in a partially water filled ditch, I heard a tank hissing, and went back there and turned off a single I had full of Nitrox. Might have been a differen story if it had been my O2 Al40, which was next to it.

  5. #85
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    16,747

    Default

    Whoa! I am glad your are OK. AL40s don't have a great reputation when it comes to physical damage
    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    I'm going to stick to my trusty old Land Rovers as I was in my 2004 this past Sunday and was involved in an accident while driving back from a photo shoot in south Florida on I-95.
    I'm fine, as is my camera, computer and dive gear but my Discovery took one for the team and now I'm on the look-out for another used one.
    When I finally came to a stop in a partially water filled ditch, I heard a tank hissing, and went back there and turned off a single I had full of Nitrox. Might have been a differen story if it had been my O2 Al40, which was next to it.
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  6. #86
    Moderator CDF-STAFF Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The World's Most Beautiful Beaches®
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WEPIV View Post
    When I finally came to a stop in a partially water filled ditch, I heard a tank hissing, and went back there and turned off a single I had full of Nitrox. Might have been a different story if it had been my O2 Al40, which was next to it.
    Another good reason for a dive trailer.
    Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

  7. #87
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, High Springs
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwood_60 View Post
    I get 20 in my Explorer. Granted, you take I-75 and I take US-19, so the numbers are deceiving. If I were to do it all over again, I would seriously consider Escape. Well built, good gas mileage, plenty of space, and has a keypad entry.
    I did a ton of research before I bought my truck - I had bought a Mini Cooper Clubman in the past year and while that was a great car there was NO WAY two people travel and dive out of it. So anyways, i was looking for something that had three characteristics - wasn't going to break the bank (it was a second vehicle), got good gas mileage (I'm driving from Atlanta to FL twice a month), and could store dive gear for at least two people very well. The Escape met all three criteria the best. I got the base model with the only options the keypad and the mat for the back, and I'm getting an average of 28 miles per gallon. I've easily hauled kit around for two people and it's super-roomy for one. The price was phenomenal and I got 5 years same as cash on a new car which made it silly (for me) not to get new. I love my Escape.

  8. #88

    Default

    I just got a Chevrolet Equinox for the same reason...Enough room for two full cave divers...and 30 plus MPG at 75+ mph........

  9. #89
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    16,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lv2dive View Post
    ...I had bought a Mini Cooper Clubman in the past year and while that was a great car there was NO WAY two people travel and dive out of it...
    I have seen two divers, and gear in a "Smartcar", and a Mini Cooper is bigger However I agree, an escape is a nice dive vehicle.
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  10. #90
    Special Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Coffee Springs, AL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I have seen two divers, and gear in a "Smartcar", and a Mini Cooper is bigger However I agree, an escape is a nice dive vehicle.
    LOL, yes, but Mike is a magician and I suspect some hoodoo was involved
    I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

    Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese
    www.shediver.com --Yes, I can train you, but don't go whining about the bruises, physical or mental!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Alert! Vehicle Thefts
    By billyf in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
  2. My ultimate cave diving vehicle
    By OutlawCaver in forum The Fill Station
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
  3. Wreck Divers vs Cave Divers
    By DogDiver in forum The Fill Station
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 09:43 AM
  4. dive vehicle for SALE
    By *Ag* in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 10:51 PM
  5. Dive Vehicle!
    By Me in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 11:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts