Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum - Cave Diving Resource.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cannonball MO 2/12/12

Four of us drove to CBL today with a planned deep deco dive; two of us using 2 stages and two of us with 3 stages. First thing we noticed was the lake was way down from usual, perhaps 8-10 feet lower, and we could see a slight ripple in the water indicating where the spring meets the lake water (30 ft. deep); second was that there was actually some visibility in the lake water, perhaps 5-10 ft.!.

Jim & I were first in the water and descended to the lake bottom where the main line goes into the cave, and we had to do some work to get to the beginning of the main line (still in open water) due to the flow. We each made a run at getting into the cave through the opening restriction, and each failed to get more than a few feet in due to the stronger than usual flow coming out. Jim dropped 2 of his stages and tried again, again to be turned back by the flow. After surfacing and ditching all stages, we returned to the bottom to try again, this time succeeding and having a nice dive up the main line to the beginning of the pit.

Conditions in the cave were 10-15 ft. vis and hazy, with a water temp of 55-57 F. The flow was noticeable, but not too tough once in past the opening restriction. We had a short dive since we had used a fair amount of primary gas during our two attempts to get into the cave. Lake water temp was app. 45-50 F.

Our other two friends were not quite as fortunate, and did not manage to get in through the opening against the current. In any case, we all enjoyed each other's company, and the cave did get dived! Very happy about that since it had been 3 months since I had made the opportunity to go diving--the longest dry spell I have had in many years.

WJH

Me and buddy Chris was the unfortunate ones that couldn't make it in. I guess we could have tried a little harder, but our plan was to dive to 210, and we had trimix in our back gas, and I figured there was no point in pushing a bad situation, and take a chance of getting blown out of the cave and blowing a deco stop. The other fun part was, since we both have knee issues, we decided to bypass the hill, and surface swim from the boat dock further down the shore line. The swim to the cave was against the wind, and took a good 15-20 minutes. Seemed like the swim back was about 5-10 minutes.
    Insert something witty and creative here_________________________.

From everything I have read about this place, it seems like a fun ride. However, the cold water you can keep. Thanks for sharing.
    It's not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years.

Cold Water? I was in fingerless gloves!
    When you're there you know there's a There there.
    Jobst Brandt

The caves in Florida are to cold for me, but I deal with it because of the beauty of them! LOL.. I am a cold water weenie.

I would like to make a trip out there though and give Cannonball a try. I am sure I can fit a snowsuit under my drysuit.

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
    .. I am sure I can fit a snowsuit under my drysuit.
    Yep, it is called a 400 gram Thinsulate undergarmet
    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

And to think those are warm temps for this time of year in our caves up here.

SLIM

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Yep, it is called a 400 gram Thinsulate undergarmet
    Yep. I will have to invest in that before I give MO a try.

Quote Originally Posted by scububa View Post
    Cold Water? I was in fingerless gloves!
    You was lucky to even have those...LOL
    Insert something witty and creative here_________________________.

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiverbob View Post
    You was lucky to even have those...LOL
    You are so right about that. Thanks for the loan.

(Previous dive trip was dry gloves. I switched back to wrist seals, but forgot my wet gloves. Bob loaned me a pair or I'd have been bare handed.)
    When you're there you know there's a There there.
    Jobst Brandt