Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Honorary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida
    Posts
    1,065

    Default Ginnie Cave Diver Prices at Ginnie for the Social

    Folks,

    If you are just diving for one day, then your entry fee will be the regular price of $20.00, but if you want to dive any two (2) days of this social weekend, then let the front office know, and you can save yourself $5.00!

    See you at the social.

    Bill Rotella


  2. #2

    Default

    Gee, Ginnie is going all out to be generous there. Why not have everyone pool their massive savings and hire a security guard to ensure that nothing walks off, as is usual for Ginnie. Hope you guys have fun though, and watch out for each others gear. We are headed to Huntsville for the NSS.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  3. #3
    Moderated
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in BFE outside of Mousetown
    Posts
    3,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne
    Gee, Ginnie is going all out to be generous there. Why not have everyone pool their massive savings and hire a security guard to ensure that nothing walks off, as is usual for Ginnie.
    Last I checked "security" is provided with the $20 admission to Ginnie... or at least that is what the guy that hangs out by Little Devil called himself.

    I would think that we would not need to pay extra above the cost of entry for something that Ginnie graciously provides.

    Joe


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

  4. #4
    Guest

    Default Security at Ginnie for the CDF Social

    Ginnie had "security" posted at the CDF Social last year and I'm sure they're going to do it again this year. I asked Bill R. to check on this (he's our Ginnie contact for the July 2nd CDF Social).


  5. #5

    Default

    Ask the divers who 'lost' their scooters over Memorial Day weekend how well the security worked.


  6. #6
    Guest

    Default Who do I ask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    Ask the divers who 'lost' their scooters over Memorial Day weekend how well the security worked.
    Who do I ask? No one has admitted they lost anything.

    http://cavediver.net/phpbb2/viewtopi...r=asc&start=20

    If someone tells us exactly what was stolen with a make, model, description and serial number we can collectively help look for it.

    I don't want to buy something that was stolen. I want the item returned to its owner and the person who stole it put in jail!


  7. #7

    Default Re: Who do I ask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    Ask the divers who 'lost' their scooters over Memorial Day weekend how well the security worked.
    Who do I ask? No one has admitted they lost anything.

    http://cavediver.net/phpbb2/viewtopi...r=asc&start=20

    If someone tells us exactly what was stolen with a make, model, description and serial number we can collectively help look for it.

    I don't want to buy something that was stolen. I want the item returned to its owner and the person who stole it put in jail!
    You can ask me. I had two Voyager Scooters stolen from the deck by Little Devils over Memorial Day Weekend. These are Mako-like scooters, black with Green trim. We reported this to the Ginnie Staff, notified a local sheriff's officer and filed a police report. I don't expect to ever see the scooters again.

    We waited until later in the evening so as to avoid a lot of the crowd. We arrived at Ginnie around 8pm and I carried both scooters down to the water. There were too many swimmers and tubers at the steps and I couldn't physically get myself to the water. I placed both scooters side-by-side as near to the steps as I could, but out of the way of the swimmers/tubers who were coming and going. I walked back to the truck (50' from the scooters) donned my drysuit and immediately returned to put the scooters into the water. I only had my back turned for 10 minutes and both scooters had disappeared.

    Obviously, I bear full responsibilty for leaving expensive dive gear unattended, but until that night, I never expected that someone would walk off with 100+lbs of dive gear, in a matter of minutes. Unfortunately, I learned my lesson the hard way.

    Be very, very careful this weekend. If anyone should hear of two black and green scooters being sold cheap anywhere, please let me know.

    James - 954-592-4080


  8. #8
    Guest

    Default Re: Who do I ask?

    James,

    I'm sorry to hear your scooters were stolen and thanks for letting us know. I will be looking this weekend and on all my dive trips. I know lots of people also keep an eye on e-bay. Do you know of any distinctive markings, i.e. serial numbers, on these scooters (maybe on the warrantee paperwork)? This could have happened to anyone of us and I hope the person who stole these scooters is caught.

    The Inspiration Rebreather list helped catch a person who stole a couple of Inspiration Rebreathers. The word got out, with the serial numbers, and someone noticed something fishy on E-bay. A meeting was setup with a police officer and the thief went to jail. My point is that some of these people do get caught and hopefully by getting the word out we can have a chance to catch them.

    Also, with the technology of security cameras, I'm surprised more dive sites don't have them. I know Blue Springs, Orange City has at least one camera at the spring head. They don't cost much and they help prevent problems!


  9. #9

    Default Re: Who do I ask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip
    Also, with the technology of security cameras, I'm surprised more dive sites don't have them. I know Blue Springs, Orange City has at least one camera at the spring head. They don't cost much and they help prevent problems!
    Memorial Day was actually a slow weekend for Ginnie; all I heard of getting stolen were James's two scooters and Linda's deco bottle. Such occurrences are far too common place at Ginnie and the primary reason that I refuse to go there. For the money they charge it would not be that hard to at least ensure our safety while topside on their property. I am waiting for some cave diver with the time and wherewithall to challenge Ginnie's utter disregard for these matters in court one day. The argument that they have someone watching just does not wash with me as we continue to hear about items sprouting legs and walking off. Perhaps they should attempt to actively enforce keeping the swimmers out of the divers' entrance area. I know that the swimmers bring in far more cash each day and that is their primary motive for being, but for what they charge to dive there they should be able to offer something more than "sorry to hear about your loss!" Until they take proactive steps to put a halt to this there will be those such as myself who refuse to go there (I have even gone as far as to tell instructors to forget about using the Devil's system as a training site with me unless they plan to boat in.) I don't think what we're asking for is any more out of line than what they charge to dive there; all we are asking for is to get what we paid for.

    DeWayne

    The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot. - Dave Sutton


    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Who do I ask?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne
    Memorial Day was actually a slow weekend for Ginnie; all I heard of getting stolen were James's two scooters and Linda's deco bottle. Such occurrences are far too common place at Ginnie and the primary reason that I refuse to go there. For the money they charge it would not be that hard to at least ensure our safety while topside on their property. I am waiting for some cave diver with the time and wherewithall to challenge Ginnie's utter disregard for these matters in court one day. The argument that they have someone watching just does not wash with me as we continue to hear about items sprouting legs and walking off. Perhaps they should attempt to actively enforce keeping the swimmers out of the divers' entrance area. I know that the swimmers bring in far more cash each day and that is their primary motive for being, but for what they charge to dive there they should be able to offer something more than "sorry to hear about your loss!" Until they take proactive steps to put a halt to this there will be those such as myself who refuse to go there (I have even gone as far as to tell instructors to forget about using the Devil's system as a training site with me unless they plan to boat in.) I don't think what we're asking for is any more out of line than what they charge to dive there; all we are asking for is to get what we paid for.

    Dewayne, no offense but that's an idiotic post.....

    I dive Ginnie on a daily basis, the staff there are extrememly friendly and extremely helpful, I'm good friends with most of them and I've never had anything stolen.

    Of course I take personal responsiblity for my gear and don't whine about there being no security..like at Telford right .....if you just act sensibly and don't leave your stuff laying around for any Tom, Dick or Harry to walk off with then it won't get taken.

    Do you leave your car unlocked with the keys in it and then whine when someone drives off with it? Ginnie makes their money off of campers (drunks) and tubers and they don't owe cave divers anything, I'm just thankful that we can access a premier system from their park.

    I'm sorry you don't dive Ginnie, you're really missing out but it means it's less crowded for the rest of us!! And $300 a year to dive 24/7 is a pretty good deal in my book, with all the facilities, hot showers, deli food, dive shop on site etc!!

    BTW I just came from the CDF social and they're already having an absolute blast down there.......

    Safe diving,

    Rich

    Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts