Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Administrator Forum Admin

Default Questions about Walls survey software

I am trying to add GPS numbers for other entrances, but the examples in the help files cause the compiler to crash??

Also, it there a way for Walls to generate GPS numbers for stations? Mostly the E.O.L. station, so I can go look in the area for sinkholes.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I can do that for you. Give me the lat & long for the starting station and the bearing and distance for each of the traverse points and I'll give you back the drawing with the lat & long for each of the stations. It'll only take a few minutes.

Mark Schroder

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice. (PV12:15)

Quote Originally Posted by cavemark View Post
    I can do that for you. Give me the lat & long for the starting station and the bearing and distance for each of the traverse points and I'll give you back the drawing with the lat & long for each of the stations. It'll only take a few minutes.
    Yes, but the Walls software is capable of doing it, if I knew how to get it to do it

I am hoping Jason, or Jon, etc. will read this sometime.

Thanks

Sump Divers

This is how I do it:

#UNITS meters ORDER=ENU
    #FIX OTHER:1 W82.454545 N38.44415540 1827f (R5,R5)
    #NOTE OTHER:1 Bob's Pit

The walls help file on #FIX has a good description of how to do different units for East & North, but if you tell me how you have your coordinates configured I can give you the code to help you

Do you have multiple entrances each with their own GPS coordinates in the system?

-Jon

For coordinates of each station in the system, compile your data and then while the map screen is open go to the File Menu and go to "Open Last Coordinate Report". This will give you coordinates for all the station in the format that you have given under your Geographical Reference and in the whatever length units you've chosen under the properties menu. If you want to mesh coordinates with your GPS device, you'll probably do best with WGS84 under Geo Reference and meters as units.

Hope this helps.

So what was the error message when the compiler crashed?

-Jon

Hmmm, does it need a different #UNITS directive? I just put it behind the one I have... or maybe it was before. Anyway I will try using that same #UNITS directive, and put it all before the #UNITS line I have for the station data.

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    ...Do you have multiple entrances each with their own GPS coordinates in the system?
    Not yet, but we are heading for some, that I suspect will connect. Even if they don't it would be nice to show them on the map.

Sump Divers

The coordinates you get off your GPS (as long as you haven't changed any settings) are in meters in the WGS84 Datum. I'm betting that you have surveyed in feet, so best to use a different #UNITS directive. The Order may also be important, if I remember right my GPS gives East & North backwards from the way that Walls natively does it. Make sure you have everything in the right the first time, or you'll end up like me spending hours trying to figure out why my lineplot looks funny.

Here's how I typically format all my data files:

Code:
    ; 14OCT1995 Survey by Rogers et al
    ;
    #DATE 1995-10-14

#UNITS meters ORDER=ENU
    #FIX CAVE:1 623456 3234567 2000f (R5,R5)	;GPS point - with 5m error horizontal built-in
    #NOTE CAVE:1 GPS Cave Entrance

#UNITS feet ORDER=DAV
    #PREFIX CAVE
    1   2   15.0   284   -15   <1,2,3,4>    ; Distance, Azimuth, Inlcination - <Left,Right,Up,Down>
    This is dry survey, but I'm sure you get the point.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post
    The coordinates you get off your GPS (as long as you haven't changed any settings) are in meters in the WGS84 Datum. I'm betting that you have surveyed in feet, so best to use a different #UNITS directive. The Order may also be important, if I remember right my GPS gives East & North backwards from the way that Walls natively does it. Make sure you have everything in the right the first time, or you'll end up like me spending hours trying to figure out why my lineplot looks funny.

Here's how I typically format all my data files:

; 14OCT1995 Survey by Rogers et al
    ;
    #DATE 1995-10-14

#UNITS meters ORDER=ENU
    #FIX CAVE:1 623456 3234567 2000f (R5,R5) ;GPS point - with 5m error horizontal built-in
    #NOTE CAVE:1 GPS Cave Entrance

#UNITS feet ORDER=DAV
    #PREFIX CAVE
    1 2 15.0 284 -15 <1,2,3,4> ; Distance, Azimuth, Inlcination - <Left,Right,Up,Down>

This is dry survey, but I'm sure you get the point.
    -Jon
    I just switched to the NAD27 CONUS datum, since all the TAG state surveys use that. However that won't crash the compiler. I bet it is the #UNITS directive.

Thanks!

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Not yet, but we are heading for some, that I suspect will connect. Even if they don't it would be nice to show them on the map.
    In that case, you can create a new file with just sinkhole/entrance coordinates like so:

Code:
    ; start of new file - entrance/sinkhole coordinates

#UNITS meters ORDER=ENU

#FIX SINKHOLE:1 623456 3234567 2000f 	;GPS point 
    #NOTE SINKHOLE:1 Sinkhole1

#FIX SINKHOLE:2 623456 3234567 2000f 	;GPS point 
    #NOTE SINKHOLE:2 Sinkhole2

#FIX CAVE:1 623456 3234567 2000f 	;GPS point 
    #NOTE CAVE:1 The main entrance
    -Jon