Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 70 fpm too fast?

Looking at my predator download of a known dive of a known distance which was Peacock 1 to Olsen sink. The cave atlas site lists the distance as 1464'. It took me right around 21 minutes to get there which gives me 69 fpm and given that you really can't start the swim until you get down the fissure I figure we were just over 70-ish fpm swim speed penetrating and a more liesurely pace of more like 60-ish fpm after we thumbed the dive (buddy leading). I've heard many times "slow down to go further" and I wasn't really concentrating on swimming slow just swimming comfortable. I guess my question is how do you all guage your swim speed? Would it be appropriate to kinda keep a running tab on how quickly the 100' line arrows go by? I really was just looking around enjoying the cave and swimming at a comfortable pace. I suppose it would be interesting to dive with a buddy that has a good solid 50 fpm swim speed and see what it does to my sac rate which is right around .6-.68-ish.

Swim speed is so individual. Finding that balance of comfortable stroke that does not raise your rmv is key. I have found that a balance of sound kick about even with the same amount of glide works best for me. Efficiency with the kick makes a big difference as well, having fin position off just a little will cause the glide to be lost. When I get into my own rhythm I find a sweet spot that gives me the best rmv versus speed.

My better half has a little slower speed that is on the edge of being slow enough to increase my rmv, if she gets to looking around a little too much. My resting rmv and casual swim speed rmv are not too far apart, slow down enough and the rmv hits a minimum and the swim speed is slower.

Bobby

The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

Local Zip Code Diver

Special Forum Member

I prefer 50fpm at most places. I see more, and enjoy it. Of course, I may go slower depending on flow and sights that I want to stop and look at closer, or faster on the way out of high flow Peacock is easy to gauge if you want to test it out, since the distance markers are every 100 feet (ie every 2 minutes at 50 fpm). For most of my dives, my "goal" is to cave dive, so I'm not in any hurry to get anywhere once I get in the cave ... I'm already there.

I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

When swimming, I'm usually criticized for going too fast. 100fpm isn't unusual.

Ron Bear, on the other hand, goes 100fpm as a change of pace from when he goes fast...

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

I'm a 50fpm diver. I have found that is the optimal pace for my RMV. Like Shirley said, it's easy to pace in the tourist caves by watching the 100' markers. I wear a dive watch with a second hand so I can tell exactly how long it takes between markers and adjust my pace accordingly. With a 70fpm pace I'd probably be turning the dive a lot sooner!

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    When swimming, I'm usually criticized for going too fast. 100fpm isn't unusual.

Ron Bear, on the other hand, goes 100fpm as a change of pace from when he goes fast...
    I don't even scooter that fast

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

jumping to 70 puts my sac up by yours. at my pace around 50 ish its down at .48-.52 ish. not bad for a guy my size. i hate diving with fast divers though. you get so focused on keeping up you lose the fun in the dive

For most of my dives, my "goal" is to cave dive, so I'm not in any hurry to get anywhere once I get in the cave ... I'm already there.
    Perfect!

I tend to swim very slowly on the way in. I want to look around -- it's what I'm there for, anyway, and it helps me reference the cave. I move a little faster on the way out, because that's how I was trained (low flow cave).

I took a class once where I was utterly miserable, trying to keep up with two tall, strong buddies who were leaving me in the dust. The instructor chided me for team separation, and I said, "They're swimming too fast!" He said, "They may be swimming a little fast, but YOU'RE swimming too slow." I didn't know you could swim too slowly on a cave dive -- where are you trying to get to, anyway?

Special Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    Perfect!

I tend to swim very slowly on the way in. I want to look around -- it's what I'm there for, anyway, and it helps me reference the cave. I move a little faster on the way out, because that's how I was trained (low flow cave).

I took a class once where I was utterly miserable, trying to keep up with two tall, strong buddies who were leaving me in the dust. The instructor chided me for team separation, and I said, "They're swimming too fast!" He said, "They may be swimming a little fast, but YOU'RE swimming too slow." I didn't know you could swim too slowly on a cave dive -- where are you trying to get to, anyway?
    Thanks Lynne!

As to the instructor, I too disagree with his logic. If your buddies are leaving you in the dust, the key phrase says it all and, to me, points at who's in need of correction (hint, it's not the one getting left).

I Semper Fi, Cameron David Smith, my son, my hero. 11/9/1989 - 11/13/2010

Never forget, we were all beginners once. Allain Burrese

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    ...I took a class once where I was utterly miserable, trying to keep up with two tall, strong buddies who were leaving me in the dust. The instructor chided me for team separation, and I said, "They're swimming too fast!" He said, "They may be swimming a little fast, but YOU'RE swimming too slow."...
    A good instructor would have taken the opportunity to pull you aside, and let your buddies do a Lost Buddy Drill

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers