Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Homemade sidemount harness

Well being a poor stdent with no funds and plenty of time on my hands for the summer as no job. I decided to make a sidemount harness. Its not complete yet as have to add on extra plates to keep the wing down etc. My secret weapon so cant give it away or some1 might copy it ha ha. LOL who cares right everyone can look and copy away no patent laws on my gear.
    Trying to get webbing was hard my buddy ( she knows who she is wont name and shame her here ) said she would send me some about 2 months ago still waiting !!! . So i had a brain wave to use old car seat belt. There is plenty car wrecks around. i went to a friends place who has loads of cars and he said take what you like. i just took 2 out of an old car he was converting into a truck so no need for back seat belts.

I got plates off a friend who made them for me at work. They a bit rough but do the job. I used some spare D rings etc i had lying around. I thought it would turn out a disaster. Usually when you try something for the first time it is crap but as you can see from the pics its not bad at all. i just need to tap off exactly where the rings go with wet suit on then stitch them into place and i have a good rig for travelling.

Any comments bad or good be appreciated and advice to improve it. i am making 2 one for a drysuit and 1 for a wetsuit. The floatation will be added as well in case you guys think i forgot about that. mainly i will use it in irish caves so we use drysuit so I will only add a very small wing 20 lbs maybe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2887.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	4678   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2888.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	4677  

Brendan O'Brien

I like that it has armrests. I wish mine did.

9/11....... I remember .........

Do you put the tanks underneath the chair?

If you want to see some funny redneck quarry diving check out my youtube account..

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoDeepif...n?feature=mhum

It looks like it would be difficlut to navigate a small cave in this feet down/first position.

Mount the whole thing, including the chair, to an AquaZepp?

Dave

"BM is so eighties" — Phillip1

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpiov View Post
    It looks like it would be difficlut to navigate a small cave in this feet down/first position.
    Lmao

If you want to see some funny redneck quarry diving check out my youtube account..

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoDeepif...n?feature=mhum

yea are all hilarious i must say. i will be trying it out in florida next wknd so i might have pics of it on me if that helps. Not sure if they will let me take the seat as hand luggage what ya think ?. LOL

Brendan O'Brien

Quote Originally Posted by loquat149 View Post
    Mount the whole thing, including the chair, to an AquaZepp?
    Oooooooh! I think you're onto something there. Cave Sledding. Who's in?

BTW, I just built a harness that looks strikingly simliar to yours. Mine is groovy!

excuse me, can I have the measurements of the plates? thanks

Built one similar one wither and did 8hrs in the pool working with trim etc.
    It works fairly well with AL 80's and 7mm.
    Steel is a bit tough unless you are dry but trim is very different and had to move d-rings around.
    Did not push it into the cave but used it to burn low tanks at the quarry when the water was very warm!
    It was fun to play with but just take some time and get the bugs worked out.

JCG