Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Installing an Exhaust Valve (Dump Valve)

I don't like the Exhaust Valve on my new dry-suit so I removed it. I have a Sitech valve off my old dry-suit that I want to replace it with. The question is: Does the Sitech valve require a bead of silicon glue on the gasket before installing? When I removed it from the old suit it was obvious that clear silicon glue had be used on the outside flange of the valve, but the valve I removed from the new suit didn't have any silicon or other glue. So if any of you have experience in installing your own dump valves please let me know the best way to insure that it will not leak. Thanks.

'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North'

Administrator Forum Admin

Most suits don't require any glue. Sitech valves also don't require glue. I have seen it used, and I guess it wouldn't hurt anything, except making it more difficult to remove the valve for cleaning.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Give Gamble a call. He told me what he uses but I forget now. I picked it up in a local hardware store.

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Actually, Gamble installed the old Sitech valve with silicon glue! Hence the question?

'You can say what you want about the South, but I ain't never heard of anyone wanting to retire to the North'

Administrator Forum Admin

Wow, do you realize that that is our own LCF that wrote that
    Thanks Lynne!

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

The dump valve I replaced with a SiTech worked perfectly on today's dive to 120 feet. The problem appears to have been fixed. I installed the SiTech without silicon glue.

It's been covered already but I have yet to attend a dry suit repair seminar where silicone was recommended. I have encountered the occassional suit/valve combination where the valve leaks at the suit interface, and in those cases I have used silicone to seal the valve body to the suit, but only after eliminating every other possibility for the leak. In those few cases, focus on the ridge and groove under the valve where it is supposed to seal, not on the edge of the valve. It is more effective and is not visible.

Also, in a few cases where you are swapping brands of exhaust valves, you may encounter one that is not 100% compatible with the gasket built into the suit. In that case silicone might also be needed.

On neoprene and compressed neoprene suits, you may have to re-tighten the valve after a few dives as some crushing of the suit material occurs but again silicone adhesive should not be needed.