Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pet Cemetery Crossover from X line to Diaz Line (Repaired Link)

EDIT: Since returning home I was able to upgrade to HD photos. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMptrZs_W5o

----------------------------------------------------------
    I only have my Asus Netbook which has a VERY limited processor. I had to remove some of the slide effects to keep it from being jumpy. This seems to be better.

It was a great dive. Nice tank on tank off restrictions. I am not a little guy as the photos show.

Got the the abyss in about 50 minutes, no stages. Had a primary light failure as I swam in the upper part of the abyss. I had 3 long dives on the batteries (my bad). Interesting place to go dark though...

Maybe one more day of diving tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited by FW; 02-18-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: At OP's request
    As a pastor I am amazed that some of my best communions with God are when I am in the underworld!

Special Member

I did a bunch of diving there a few months ago and after the dos ojos pit the pet c. dive to the abyss was my favorite and intend to go back asaic...I carried a datasonde on the dive and have some nice data...it was interesting to see the color change prior to the abyss. Hope to go back in the near future and concentrate on a single system or two. Bill

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Default Additional photo

I handed the camera to Ela as I squeezed through one of the smaller restrictions. This is the photo she took.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5455.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	3651

As a pastor I am amazed that some of my best communions with God are when I am in the underworld!

Great video. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

dean

I was there Thursday.....just missed you.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world; those who are good at math, and those who are not.

The Diaz line to the Blue Abyss is currently my favorite of all the dives I've done down there. I enjoyed the photos. I've never accessed the place via the ladder, though; only the stairs to the pond. That's one place where sidemount would sure be useful!

Did a photo shoot at Mayan Blue on the A line to the Death Arrow passage. Lots of pictures. Then I got to play with the scooter in the cenote. Dang! Why did I ever try it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5852.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	3654  

Quote Originally Posted by LCF View Post
    The Diaz line to the Blue Abyss is currently my favorite of all the dives I've done down there. I enjoyed the photos. I've never accessed the place via the ladder, though; only the stairs to the pond. That's one place where sidemount would sure be useful!

I thought I would remain quiet but this is getting a bit out of hand...

Naming and publishing the locates of the most fragile and sensitive areas "out in the open" constitutes a great disservice to the caves and hampers any efforts aimed at conservation!

Yes, unfortunately it appears that with the increase in its popularity the cave is paying the ultimate price.

Select your audience people! You should know better!

Self stroking public internet discussions involving "THE BEST DIVES", "THE FAVORITE OF ALL" and the "MUST DO" are largely to blame for the ever enlarging area of impact.

All such unrestrained discourse does is to provide people of varying training and skill levels with lists of sites that they must “CHECK OUT”.
    They would stop at nothing to get to their “targets”, just so that upon return they would be able to make yet another self gratifying post on “THE FORUMS”.

Lamentably, the visitors’ awareness, skill sets and finesse rarely “match” the caves they are attempting to dive.

In this particular case a passage, virtually pristine just a couple of years ago, is now TRASHED BEYOND REPAIR, littered with broken speleothems, scarred by numerous scooter and stage marks, handprints, etc.

It is not the only one…

The large groups (10 plus cave divers) guided almost on a daily basis by certain "cash hungry" dive shops certainly do not improve the situation.

As I am writing this, new roads are being bulldozed, the whine of chainsaws penetrates the forest – the largest trees are being fallen so that new platforms and gearing tables could be constructed, white calcite sand is being pumped out of the cenotes to sprinkle the ATV trails and alter / enlarge the “swimming areas” so that the ever increasing stream of snorkelers and adventure seekers could be accommodated.

No posters seem to be concerned with this… It’s a pity…

Flame away …

Quote Originally Posted by NEON View Post
    No posters seem to be concerned with this… It’s a pity…

Flame away …
    No Flame...

Of course, NEON is correct that talking about caves or routes will increase interest in the caves by others. It might also encourage some to relive their memories on line or in person.

I am not certain that I agree completely with the ideology that suggests maintaining secret routes or hushing up about particularly beautiful rooms will save the caves. The information is certainly "out there" in books and the web. As was pointed out, there are guides that will sacrifice the cave to illicit profit. But I personally know guides that insist on check out dives to determine skill sets before working up to a particular dive.

In the 8 years that I have been visiting and diving in the Yucatan, I have been stunned by the development in the area. The golf courses are dumping fertilizer on top of the aquifer. The grotto at Chen Hol is divided by a 15 foot stone wall as the highway is being widened. The Coba road developement is unreal, with stores and bars and gas stations being built in anticipation of the new major airport. When I dove Pet Cemetery I had to walk around 20 snorkelers who rode back on as many quad runners to swim in the cenote. We walked in bare feet because the ground was covered with smooth sand pumped up from the cenote and spread around the area. Pet Cemetery is charging $250 pesos now and making the improvements with some of the profits. That is more than twice the average cost for entrance... and other owners are watching and learning. They will follow suite.

In my profession I studied the Gnostic Religions. They grew and prospered because they maintained a type of secret society that outsiders wished to be a part of themselves. An argument could be raised that the very act of trying to maintain secrets has generated more interest in certain caves than would otherwise occur naturally.

Cave conservation is a mindset that is taught by personal behavior and other forms of education. Trying to keep caves or routes secret will work only in the short term.

Avoiding talking about cave systems on a small forum frequented by cave divers is going to do nothing in the long run. For every one of us, there are a dozen people going down and hiring guides . . . and it is to the landowner's advantage to get as many people to dive the cave as possible. And I can't blame them! The economy down there is far from good and the standard of living is pretty uniformly nothing we in the US would put up with.

And yes, other landowners ARE following suit and raising entry prices. Entry for White River is $25, too -- but White River doesn't have the BA, and I think they will find that, if they maintain those prices, people will be diving other systems in preference. But the saddest thing is that the landowners make so much more money running snorkelers through the cenotes, that they often don't much care if we dive the systems or not.