Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Caves Near Tallahassee Suitable for Basic Cave Divers?

All,

I have an opportunity to be in Tallahassee Th/Fr of next week with some of my buddies (All experienced Basic Cave) and we want to do some cave diving.

From Walter's site, it looks like most, if not all, of the caves right around Tally are either on private property or have some restrictions on acccess. Are there any caves suitable for Basic Cave in the area, or are we going to have to had either East (Madison) or West (Marianna) to dive?

Thanks,

John

Greetings

There are some locations that are pretty good for basic level. Some are not. The problem is that almost everything in the Leon system is blown out from the rains a couple of weeks ago, or to be precise, the locations I visited last weekend were. Even when it is good, don't expect the same visibility in the area as in JB or Ginnie.

I will be splashing about next week, and if it has cleared up I will let you know.

"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap"
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
    "Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it."
    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    "I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand."

Rodney Dangerfield 10-5-2004

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by giles45shop View Post
    All,

I have an opportunity to be in Tallahassee Th/Fr of next week with some of my buddies (All experienced Basic Cave) and we want to do some cave diving.

From Walter's site, it looks like most, if not all, of the caves right around Tally are either on private property or have some restrictions on acccess. Are there any caves suitable for Basic Cave in the area, or are we going to have to had either East (Madison) or West (Marianna) to dive?

Thanks,

John
    www.wakullacountydiveclub.com - Meet up with someone local. There's several sites in Tally where access has been arranged, but it's not discussed as openly as sites like Ginnie and JB.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

I'd say for the most part they're more challenging than what you find elsewhere. not that an experienced intro diver would have trouble diving a lot of them within those limitations. join the WCDC. they do great work and someone will be glad to show you around

Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Greetings

There are some locations that are pretty good for basic level. Some are not. The problem is that almost everything in the Leon system is blown out from the rains a couple of weeks ago, or to be precise, the locations I visited last weekend were. Even when it is good, don't expect the same visibility in the area as in JB or Ginnie.

I will be splashing about next week, and if it has cleared up I will let you know.
    The forecast for Monday and Tuesday is thunderstorms...

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    Rob, NEVER tell anyone about bad weather, now its your fault!!!

"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap"
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
    "Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it."
    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    "I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand."

Rodney Dangerfield 10-5-2004

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    Where? weather.com calls for 0% rain Monday and 10% on Tuesday in Tallahassee.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Thanks to Matt I am adding "Equipment Configuration and Notes" to some systems. I have started with a few up near Tally.

Here is Bozel - http://j.mp/cNMMKx

Being that I have only been to Bozell once, my info is probably wrong, I'm sure others would know better. I did this dive in sidemount, it was my understanding that the backmount entrance is on private property, therefore its a sidemount cave only, no?

Quote Originally Posted by JamieZ View Post
    Being that I have only been to Bozell once, my info is probably wrong, I'm sure others would know better. I did this dive in sidemount, it was my understanding that the backmount entrance is on private property, therefore its a sidemount cave only, no?
    Right before the fissure crack you can exit the cave (Look up!) into the pool which is on private property, and then near there is another BM entry point.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.