Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SPG configuration

I have my SPG's mounted so that they lie down on the tank. I've noticed a few divers over here -OZ- that have them mounted so that they point straight out [think antennae]. It looks really wierd, but they're obviously easier to read, but look as if they could snag quite easily. Just wondered what is the preference with you guys?

I tried placing them along the tank initially,and disliked this configuration because of the constant flexing/unflexing of the hose,which causes stress to the hose,plus to contort my body to look down,would invite water passing my drysuit neck seal. I am fortunate to dive a first stage that allows my spgs to be angled inward toward the center of my chest,so both spgs are touching perimeter to perimeter. I have the benefit of being able to check both spgs simultaneously,without having to alter body position. The one problem I encountered is the luminescent spgs close to my face would disrupt my night vision,but that was solved with black faced spgs.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I don't do either. If my tanks were standing up, the SPGs are canted inwards at 5 - 7 O'clock position. This way they sit just below my rib cage.

Cheers!

Kevin

Doing It Caverkevin

I point mine up, but I use angled valves so they don't droop and snag ****. Makes all the difference in the world.

Moderated

My spgs are rigged the same as we rig stages (tied back onto the first stage). I use the short myflex HP hose and it bends well and seems to have held up pretty good so far.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Pyle
    "After my first 10 hours on a rebreather, I was a real expert. Another 40 hours of dive time later, I considered myself a novice. When I had completed about 100 hours of rebreather diving, I realized I was only just a beginner."

A big factor is your 1st stages and how the SPGs come off of them. My SPGs are pointed up, but they sit up against my shoulders so that I have to pull them out a little to look at them. I've tried down along the tank, toward each other in the middle, and up with the 1st stages causing them to stick out too much. Flipping the tanks so they face me rather than facing out made pointing them up much more streamlined.

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll try a few of your ideas next time I'm out. I'd like to get them mounted so that I don't have to pull them out so much to read. Obviously the 1st stage has a big bearing on the positioning. I'm using Mk 25's.
    cheers. Alex

Either you snug them up and pull them out or keep them out and risk digging little trenches in the bottom of the cave. There's not really a midway point.

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Angled valves help keep those trenches from happening

Yeah, but can you see the regs without pulling them out a little?

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC