Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default other bottle mounting option

I was thinking about mounting my cylinders yesterday and today while diving...
    http://northeastscubasupply.com/stor...prod_1565.html
    I then saw that. I like the full cam band on the bottom of my bottle, but hate pulling bungees around. It's no fun while sitting vertical in the water, especially since I'm a big guy with flexibility issues in my shoulders. *Can't touch my elbows together or touch the tops of my shoulder with their respective hands*
    I like the idea of the ring bungees, but wasn't fond of the full stage strap setup.
    Any objections to using those straps?
    Other question, is would it hold the bottle if I have to climb in and/or out with my bottles. I think 1" webbing would be plenty strong, but just in case

Are you mounting your stage bottle on the bottom, like in backmount, or the top? If on the bottom, those should hold the bottle there but are going to allow them to drop low and take any streamlining you may have completely out. If that's all you want, buy some snap bolts and static line and make your own.

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    Check out my new book - Sidemount Diving - An Almost Comprehensive Guide
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by RN View Post
    If that's all you want, buy some snap bolts and static line and make your own.
    WHAT? A cave diver custom-make his own gear to his own specifications? Have you lost your mind?

That is so 1980s.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

I was more worried about moving them around on land. The intention was to make something similar to that with the webbing, but keep the webbing as short as possible to keep the bottle tucked it, was just the original concept I was going for. I had thought about using the captured bolt snaps in the o-rings, but didn't know how those would fare on my valves with heavy steels...

Tell me if I understand this correctly. You want to carry your stage bottles on land clipped on to you. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    WHAT? A cave diver custom-make his own gear to his own specifications? Have you lost your mind?

That is so 1980s.
    What was I thinking??

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC
    "Survival depends on being able to suppress anxiety and replace it with calm, clear, quick and correct reasoning..." -Sheck Exley

No, these are my primary bottles. Some of the time when diving we have to go off of docks and if I don't have surface support it's easier to jump in with my bottles on than to try to sling em in the water. I just don't want to strain my bungees since they're HP120's, and just over 50lbs a pop, I don't want to bust the bungees.
    I was just using the stage bottles as how I was going to clip them onto the harness.

I was going to use captured rings with clips, but that's a lot of weight to carry and I was worried about damage to the valves, so I'm just wondering if the 1 inch webbing will hold the bottles up without a problem.

So similar to using the choker system without using the full stage rigging

Quote Originally Posted by saxplayer1004 View Post
    No, these are my primary bottles. Some of the time when diving we have to go off of docks and if I don't have surface support it's easier to jump in with my bottles on than to try to sling em in the water. I just don't want to strain my bungees since they're HP120's, and just over 50lbs a pop, I don't want to bust the bungees.
    I was just using the stage bottles as how I was going to clip them onto the harness.

I was going to use captured rings with clips, but that's a lot of weight to carry and I was worried about damage to the valves, so I'm just wondering if the 1 inch webbing will hold the bottles up without a problem.

So similar to using the choker system without using the full stage rigging
    Like RN already said, just get some snap bolts some line and make your own. I have walked out of/in to the water with mine and they work fine. It isn't something to make a habit of though because depending on the size of the tanks it can be uncomfortable.

Shawn

"Never Trade Luck for Skill"

ok ya I was just worried with the weight, but I guess cave line has a tensile strength of a lot more than 50lbs. Will go ahead and do that tonight. This wasn't for any permanent solution, just for the few times when it has to happen

I wouldn't recommend using cave line. You can get some thicker marine line at Walmart, or old gold line. I've had the same static line on my bottles for over 3 years now. I don't make a practice of walking my bottles out of the water, though.

Rob Neto
    Chipola Divers, LLC

Here is what I picked up on sale and used. It has worked fine.

Rope

Shawn

"Never Trade Luck for Skill"