Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Salvo LED light reflector degrading..?

Has anyone ever had the lamp reflector degrade inside there canister light..?

The canister light I own (see pictures) is a Salvo 12 watt LED.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I was wondering if this was caused by an overheating issue or maybe a moisture issue..?

The glass is held in place with x2 o- rings there was signs of some moisture inside the unit, when it was stripped it is nearly 2 years old.

If anyone knows of a suitable replacement reflector, please let me know.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvo Light Relector.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	2535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvo Light Relector 2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	2536  

Quote Originally Posted by steve626508 View Post

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I was wondering if this was caused by an overheating issue or maybe a moisture issue..?

The glass is held in place with x2 o- rings there was signs of some moisture inside the unit, when it was stripped it is nearly 2 years old.

Thanks for any help.

Hummm. That doesn't look good. One thing that could be the problem is the glue they used to put things togetherLED to heatsink or reflector to LED). May be there is a reaction going on with the solvents in it.

Another theory could be due to heat! Those reflectors are plastic with a very thin reflective layer.

Those reflectors(Fraen FRC Series in spot configuration for Ostar Osram) are really hard to come by (unless you want to pay for 192 of them from Arrow) so I suggest go straight to Light Monkey. I build lights and so far I have not been able to purchase these reflectors. The LEDs are no longer being made so I am hoping Light Monkey has plenty of backstock on those as well.

That mess of glue at the bottom sure looks like someone didn't care much about making it look good! I would guess glue solvent reaction to be the cause here as it looks like the reflecting surface is just being eaten away...

Hector

Waow!!
    that looks bad from here!!
    And how old is the light by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by CaveBuddy95 View Post
    Waow!!
    that looks bad from here!!
    And how old is the light by the way?

2 years old he said...

Looks like it was left on/used? out of the water.

Can't quite tell from the picture, but I have a couple reflectors that were exposed to water that look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by adm3745 View Post
    Can't quite tell from the picture, but I have a couple reflectors that were exposed to water that look like that.
    ..and just condensation could have done that?..ouch!!..that is not real good isn't it?
    I went there for a look but no luck:
    leviathandivingequipment.com
    But I guess the topic has been explored already!

Good luck with this Steve!

ps: saw you went on SB as well!!
    http://www.lightmonkey.us/

Quote Originally Posted by 350xfire View Post
    Hummm. That doesn't look good. One thing that could be the problem is the glue they used to put things togetherLED to heatsink or reflector to LED). May be there is a reaction going on with the solvents in it.

Another theory could be due to heat! Those reflectors are plastic with a very thin reflective layer.

Those reflectors(Fraen FRC Series in spot configuration for Ostar Osram) are really hard to come by (unless you want to pay for 192 of them from Arrow) so I suggest go straight to Light Monkey. I build lights and so far I have not been able to purchase these reflectors. The LEDs are no longer being made so I am hoping Light Monkey has plenty of backstock on those as well.

That mess of glue at the bottom sure looks like someone didn't care much about making it look good! I would guess glue solvent reaction to be the cause here as it looks like the reflecting surface is just being eaten away...

Hector
    Thanks Hector, I have been in touch with Light Monkey, they are not sure why it happened...

I sent the manufacturers an email and a couple of days later I received a reply saying the fault is one they have not seen before and are sending a replacement reflector for me to the UK dealer (Deep Ideas) on there next order.

The 12 watt LED canister light is a great product and out performs many of the 10 watt HID lights I have used.

Thanks Corey at Light Monkey Enterprises LLC, for sorting the replacement out.

Quote Originally Posted by steve626508 View Post

Thanks for any help.
    I have received x2 replacement reflectors from Corey at Light Monkey FOC - The light is repaired. The customer service is outstanding, thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Salvo 12watt LED (new reflector).JPG
Views:	59
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	2806   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Reflector (inc spare).JPG
Views:	62
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	2807  

Administrator Forum Admin

Glad they took care of you. I have a 12W like that, but I haven't had that happen to that light.

I have killed a lot of other lights cave diving and caving and have seen that happen a number of times. It was always when there was moisture in the light, probably from getting it all nasty on my helmet in a cave then diving with it. I suspect it just got some grit under the o-rings in those cases.