Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default drysuit input needed

Please provide me with the pros and cons of Sea Elite Scout Drysuit. Thanks

"...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by TONY CHANEY View Post
    I have not seen this suit,but they key is determine who is making it for them. At one time Atlan was making quite a few things for them,and they make some quality suits.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

First, people don't pay $2,500 for a TLS-350 for no reason.

On the other hand, $599.95 for a brand-new drysuit might indeed be a great buy. Is the DUI four times as good? (Look at my avatar for my answer.)

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post

On the other hand, $599.95 for a brand-new drysuit might indeed be a great buy. Is the DUI four times as good? (Look at my avatar for my answer.)
    Don't listen to Russell, if you're only planning on doing a few dives a year in fairly benign environments the Sea Elite is a fine suit. I dive a CF200 and while it's warm in summer time once I'm in the water I'm fine and they survive forever.

My $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by TONY CHANEY View Post
    Tony I haven't seen one yet but you could probably get Rob to bring one in. This way we can all look at it. I have a TLS and I will most likely buy the Typhoon for my next one. I can't see putting so much money into a suit that I have so many problems with.

Butch

God, Guns and Guts made this Country... Let's Keep All Three!!!

Just my opinion and we all know how those go. I dive a DUI CF200 and I love it. Then again, I dive mostly in the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post

CLX-450 for me.

The only hard decision is which DUI suit is best for your conditions/requirements!

WJH

Thanks for all the input and please feel free to add more. A few things to know that I should have added before. I was at the hospital working and was rushed for a short posting. Anyway...I dive dry almost year round due to water temps at places like Jocassee and Lake Norman quarry. My neo Bear suit has served me well but has just about given up it. Even Steve suggested not repairing it due to excessive expenses. I have found that brand name does not always mean quality. I was sold on the White's Fusion until I saw one of these at Diver's Supply last week. At 46 years young and raising a family I have to think about budget. I really liked the Typhoon but for some reason they went to back entry only. So that throws that one out. I was just thinking that for the price of a Fusion I could buy four of the SE Scouts. I am not a cheap person but what works, works. I could not but help but read all the postings about how DUI is not as great as they use to be. As a matter of fact the DUI was one of the suits that made, not only mine but others, bottom of the list. I again say, thanks you for your input but, if you love your suit then OK but really I was looking for information pertaining to the Scout. I find that suits are a hard issue to discuss due to personal comfort from having a suit so long. This will be my first Bi ot Tri suit so I don't want to screw it up. Please advise soonest.

"...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham

From the pic on the net it looks ok. My question however would be about zipper placement. From the right shoulder down to the waist just where the left D-ring would be? It makes it kinda a busy spot there - isn't it exactly where we clip usually stages, argon, and pressure gauge, ... and knife is approximately near that spot also. I wonder if zipper will handle all that tension there without loosing its lifetime quickly.

Default dont settle

I have been through cheap crappy dry suits and believe me it's not worth the hassle. Save your money, and get what you want not what the what looks good at $500.00. I got a practically brand new second hand suit at a great deal and I will never dive anything other than a DUI TLS350. I do not understand how anyone could have a bad experience with that suit. Maybe I'm just lucky. Anyways be patient and the perfect suit will come along at the right time.