Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterhole #3

Default Waterhole #3

Has anyone recently dove Waterhole #3 from the outside in towards Peacock. My partner and I have dove it from that direction many times. This past weekend when looking to dive Waterhole it looked like dead trees had fallen into the sink and blocked the entrance. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
    Has anyone recently dove Waterhole #3 from the outside in towards Peacock. My partner and I have dove it from that direction many times. This past weekend when looking to dive Waterhole it looked like dead trees had fallen into the sink and blocked the entrance. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Egress can be made,but the park would prefer people didn't enter from there due to the tree.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Kelly, I appreciate you getting back with me. I didn't realize that the park didn't want divers in Waterhole from the outside. Thanks for the information. Has that rule been in effect for long or just since the last flood? Are there any plans in the works to remove the dead trees so the entrance is clearer?

It's a not well stated rule not to use any of the other sinks for ingress/egress unless it is an emergency. The only approved entrances are Orange Grove, P1, P2 basin (to get to P3), and P3 (though this is an ankle breaker entrance).

Default Waterhole

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Egress can be made,but the park would prefer people didn't enter from there due to the tree.
    That's a shame, it's one of my fav ways in to the system

Martin Robson

www.eau2.com

The exit/entrance is NOT blocked. Some limbs to swim around, but no problem.

Tom Johnson / tj
    Administrator/Sponsor
    Dayo Scuba Center LLC
    Orlando, Florida

Why?? I have always gone in that way. Is it causing damage? It might help if we knew why. Thanks.

roadkill

All the people entering at WH#3 make me feel lazy for enjoying the stairs at OG and P1...

Default long time but...

It's been a long time since I dove Peacock at all, but one of my favorite entrances/exits is waterhole. And it's one of my favorite peacock dives. There's more life, little critters on rocks below, beside, above, in the silty bottom, and just hanging out in the water, than anywhere else in peacock. just the right size too.

I hope they let us dive it, tree or no.

-skip

"Learning the techniques of others does not interfere with the discovery of techniques of one's own." B.F. Skinner, 1970.

When the tree fell the park wanted to close this sink,but it was recommended that if limbs could be moved,then allow it to be used for emergency egress. The other concern is that there was a significant amount of erosion developing due to use,and it was going to suffer the same effect of Olsen.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick