Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Man Dies After Day Trapped Upside Down In Cave

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34157005/ns/us_news-life/

Just a story I ran across on the internet. Not "cave diving" related of course but food for thought none the less.

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bummer

A good post about the cave is 3/4 down the page..it has maps and a presentation about past rescues and the cave

http://www.forums.caves.org/viewtopi...p=78936#p78936

a sad outcome and a horrid way to go.My condolences to the family as well- the rescuers who experienced this.

of note and relevance to cave diving perhaps-the cave is now closed

This is a very sad outcome to a story that we here in Utah have been following for the last day and a half. Very tragic! The rescue team extracted him after the first 8 hours of being stuck, but the rope broke and he fell back into the same location and was stuck again. I can't imagine being stuck hanging upside down for 28 hours. Really awful!

The cave had been closed to exploration for quite a while due to so many people having to constantly being rescued. I wonder what impact this poor guys death will have on future access to the cave.

Very sad.

Regards,
    Randy

Randy Thornton
    CCR Cave Instructor, CCR Instructor Trainer
    TDI Training Advisory Panel member

www.diveaddicts.com
    www.sub-gravity.com
    www.tekdiveusa.com

The rock they anchored into broke-not the rope/hauling system-the up to date info is on the NSS thread I posted above.The cave is now closed-whether they will re open after an inquiry??

The local news reported today that the man's body would not be removed from the cave and that the cave would be permanently sealed. This unfortunate guy's death was very tragic. The sealing of the cave is also a tragic event. I'm not a dry caver at all, but I am saddened by the closure of any cave. Sadly, I could easily see similar type closures happen at underwater caves, and I know that they have in the past.

I hope this guys family and friends will ultimately find some peace in his passing. Additionally, I hope that at some point when the excitement has died down that access to this cave will become available as well as all underwater caves that have been closed due to unfortunate accidents.

I guess it's a fine line between protecting the public from themselves and allowing people the freedom to pursue their pastimes.

Regards,
    Randy

Randy Thornton
    CCR Cave Instructor, CCR Instructor Trainer
    TDI Training Advisory Panel member

www.diveaddicts.com
    www.sub-gravity.com
    www.tekdiveusa.com

That was a very composed post Randy.

I see that another person fell off of Angel's Landing yesterday...

FWIW- If I die in a cave, it was my choice to be there. Please don't punish others. You can't and shouldn't protect me from myself. And, when I am dead, I'll be dead, no one needs to be gentle with my carcass.

The idea that our personal choices can take away others freedoms is a very sad state. Unfortunately in this country, that appears to be the trend. This issue affects all of us.