Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Henkle Swim

Cave Diver Arrow Henkle Swim

Dear fast swimmers,

I've not been to the Henkle swimming yet... I'm taking a scooter class soon, and I want to get in some long swims and collect data for air consumption, etc.

Does anyone want to do a Ginnie Henkle swim with me? It looks like a double stage dive with setup to do it safely.

I would really like to do it Thursday after 6 PM, November 12th?

Or maybe Saturday after 4 PM, November 14th?

Cheers!

Jonathan

Talking

Any last minute planners out there? LOL!

7 hours until a possible dive today (Thursday).

PM me maybe Sat evening.

Anthony Tedeschi
    Narc'ed Diving
    Instagram: @narceddiving

No takers on Thursday... still looking for a dive buddy for Saturday after 4 PM.

Anyone interested?

Good luck, I hope you find someone. Not in the cards for me right now...

Talking

I reached the Henkle restriction at 3200 feet from the entrance sign in 46 minutes. I used 165 cubic feet of gas getting there, and I used 98 cubic feet of gas coming out.

I had 108s on my back and two 72 stage bottles and oxygen deco.

I am very happy to have done the dive. I feel like I have a solid awareness of my physical limitations, which is good for planing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	henkle-swim-14-nov-2009.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	1751  

No where... formerly Miami, FL. Athens, GA, Quebec, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetickle View Post
    I reached the Henkle restriction at 3200 feet from the entrance sign in 46 minutes. I used 165 cubic feet of gas getting there, and I used 98 cubic feet of gas coming out.
    46min.. sounds fast. How long to come out ? 35-40 min from your graph? It took me about 40 min to swim BACK from the Henkle once using about 110 cf pushing a scooter and two stages out. I never dared to do the swim to the Henkle... that's what scooters are for.

The shoals are there still, the winds howl loud, the rain beats down, the waves burst strong. Some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy. John T. Cunningham

46 mins swimming? Good job!!

Did you prestage or just jump in and swim?

If you don't mind a bit of critique - almost all the evidence now points to deep, discontinuous stops being a bad idea. I think it would have made more sense to spend 2 mins at 60... 2 at 50 (just swim the lips-sign bit high and slow)... 2 at 40... 5-10 at 30... then go to 20. The 40 ft jump form 60 to 20 may cause more harm than good. Come up with a progressive set of decreasing depth steps.

Quote Originally Posted by chimie007 View Post
    46min.. sounds fast. How long to come out ? 35-40 min from your graph? It took me about 40 min to swim BACK from the Henkle once using about 110 cf pushing a scooter and two stages out. I never dared to do the swim to the Henkle... that's what scooters are for.
    Raphael you lazy bugger! You HAVE to swim it at least once in your life!

Last edited by aainslie; 11-15-2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Andrew Ainslie

Almost extinct cave diver

Smile

I pre-staged the dive. I had a 72 stage bottle at the 1800 ft mark waiting for me. I jumped in with one stage and breathed it to the rollercoaster jump, then clipped it off at the jump and switched to backgas. I went through the roller coaster and then back onto the gold line. I breathed backgas to 1800 and then I switched to the second stage and breathed it to about 2600. At that point I switched to backgas, but continued to carry the second stage as emergency gas. I went 100 feet past the Henkle restriction to 3200 and then turned and took gold line all the way out. Swimming out I went a very comfortable relaxed pace and recorded time and pressure every few hundred feet. It was a good experience.

Funny thing is I had planned to do this Henkle swim on Wednesday, but after the setup dive my buddy was too tired and cold to do the second dive to the Henkle. So, my stage bottle had been sitting back there for three days. It was slimy and gooey... LOL!

Yes I think you are right about the slower accent from 60 to 20, good advice.

I was wearing backmount 108s, diverite fins, and was in a wetsuit.
    Pinnacle Merino Semi-dry wetsuit
    http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/prod....aspx?sku=WS25
    http://www.pinnacleaquatics.com/prod....aspx?prodid=2

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie View Post
    46 mins swimming? Good job!!

Did you prestage or just jump in and swim?

If you don't mind a bit of critique - almost all the evidence now points to deep, discontinuous stops being a bad idea. I think it would have made more sense to spend 2 mins at 60... 2 at 50 (just swim the lips-sign bit high and slow)... 2 at 40... 5-10 at 30... then go to 20. The 40 ft jump form 60 to 20 may cause more harm than good. Come up with a progressive set of decreasing depth steps.

Raphael you lazy bugger! You HAVE to swim it at least once in your life!

Good job! I might have done it ~> 60 minutes inbound, but much faster outbound without much swimming, I think only 30-40 min, it could have been the flow. I was at Ginnie Nov 7, the flow seems down so now's a good time to try a swim.