Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default damaged valves or normal?

guys, I know this is going to be obvious to some of you but as I'm learning, it's not so obvious to me. I just bought some cylinders and they all have "pro" valves meaning they're convertible. Before I remove the yoke plug, however, I noticed what appears to be something wrong. I've attached a photo because I simply don't know the lingo yet. there's a bend. I'm removing the plug but if for any reason I wanted to use it, I want to be sure it's not damage.
    Is this normal? It's on all 5 tanks but to varying degrees. Are the valves ok? If yes, what on earth is this about?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00018-20091010-1345.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	1630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00018-20091010-1345 - edt.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	1631  

The conversion plugs are damaged. If you are not using them and will be using the DIN fittings, then there is no problem.

The little plugs can be had cheaply. I might still have a few that you can have for the postage if you want them.

The valve, at least from the photo looks fine. The insert seems to have a small ding. Take a yoke first stage and attach it. If it leaks it is damaged. Of course you would want to change the oring to make sure that is not the issue. As far as the din portion of the valve, when you remove the insert it should come out easily and smoothly. From the photo, you are probably ok with the valve. Mark

I have a few like that. Mind didn't leak and worked when I tested them, but since I only have DIN regulators I never really use them. I keep mine in a ziplock bag. A few years ago I sold a couple of cylinders and put the inserts in the valves when I sold them, that is about their only value for me.

Mark Vlahos

guys thanks a ton for the responses - you guys are awesome. I'm surprised that all 5 valves would have the same or similar problem. Granted, I'm using ALL din, even on stage and deco bottles but this is a bit absurd. Thanks a lot for the help!

Save the inserts. The o rings come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Spd 135 View Post
    Save the inserts. The o rings come in handy.
    well I can take the o-rings out and can the inserts but it's always worthwhile to have gear around that I think I'll never use!
    I'm just going to ask the guy I bought the cylinders from to replace the inserts.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by whodunit68 View Post
    well I can take the o-rings out and can the inserts but it's always worthwhile to have gear around that I think I'll never use!
    I'm just going to ask the guy I bought the cylinders from to replace the inserts.
    Thanks.
    I think that the bend you are talking about is "normal." I have 6 blue steel valves and all of the inserts are like that. A friend of mine had to use one of the inserts yesterday, and had no problem with it when it was used with a yoke reg.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantey View Post
    I think that the bend you are talking about is "normal." I have 6 blue steel valves and all of the inserts are like that. A friend of mine had to use one of the inserts yesterday, and had no problem with it when it was used with a yoke reg.
    thank you. I spoke with the vendor I purchased them from (after emailing and sending photos) and he convinced me, right before I saw your reply, that this is, in fact, the case. he said they're designed that way to keep the o-ring in. When he told me that, some bells went off because one of my 1st stages the o-ring (yes it's the right size) falls out sometimes. Whether or not it's true, it makes sense to me ...

I agree with cantey, this is normal for some inserts. Look closely at a yoke valve some time. They typically have a small "flat spot" like that. Some inserts also have it, apparently in an attempt to more closely replicate an actual yoke valve. No one has ever been able to adequately explain to me why that little ding is there so if anyone knows lets hear it!