Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Waterhole at Peacock

My buddy and I dove the Waterhole Tunnel at Peacock yesterday. It is still pretty nasty. There is a lot of stuff hanging on the line and some kind of loose silt that boils up from the bottom just by swimming over it. It's not fine silt but looks like large snowflakes when it comes up. When we got back into the hills and canyons the silt wasn't really a problem anymore but we hit a wall of tannic water somewhere around 7-800 ft and turned the dive. We had kept a close watch on our back trail and felt the silt was manageable but the stuff must have been fairly heavy because when we got back into the tighter area it had mostly settled back down. We both enjoy doing some of the tighter more technical stuff but there was definitely a bit of sphincter relaxation when we got back to the main cave. It was a good dive and I would do it again, just not tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by thmoose51 View Post
    My buddy and I dove the Waterhole Tunnel at Peacock yesterday. It is still pretty nasty. There is a lot of stuff hanging on the line and some kind of loose silt that boils up from the bottom just by swimming over it. It's not fine silt but looks like large snowflakes when it comes up. When we got back into the hills and canyons the silt wasn't really a problem anymore but we hit a wall of tannic water somewhere around 7-800 ft and turned the dive. We had kept a close watch on our back trail and felt the silt was manageable but the stuff must have been fairly heavy because when we got back into the tighter area it had mostly settled back down. We both enjoy doing some of the tighter more technical stuff but there was definitely a bit of sphincter relaxation when we got back to the main cave. It was a good dive and I would do it again, just not tomorrow.

There is a tannic vent in Waterhole,and this area can have poor viz,plus minimal water movement makes it difficult to flush out that tunnel.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    There is a tannic vent in Waterhole,and this area can have poor viz,plus minimal water movement makes it difficult to flush out that tunnel.
    Plug it Kelly!!

"Is this thing on?"

Default Waterhole or Wishbone

Either "OK" this weekend?