Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Angry Compass malfunction

I have recently had two compasses (a Scubapro and Parkway) work perfectly on the surface and then freeze up underwater. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is there a solution other than throwing away the compass?

"I like to do dangerous things safely."

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
    I have recently had two compasses (a Scubapro and Parkway) work perfectly on the surface and then freeze up underwater. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Is there a solution other than throwing away the compass?
    I have had it happen a couple times with compasses (but never with a SUUNTO SK7!). It was a pressure related problem, I believe related to a loss of fluid in the compass. For a long time the one compass worked fine until you were deeper than 80 ft., where you really need to know where you are, and we kept thinking it was narcosis since it worked great at 20 ft.! I continued to use the "deep" compass only with OW classes where it was only used at a depth of 20 ft., but eventually had to throw it away as well.

Buy the SUUNTO.

WJH

I can't speak to your specific problem, but I tried several compasses that would stick in a position and then randomly free, telling me I was swimming in the wrong direction. (Obviously, open water.)

I buddy showed me his Suunto SK7 and how he could he could twist his wrist in all kinds of positions and still get a good reading. Got it from the dreaded Leisure Pro for ~$60 and have never had a problem reading it since.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by WJH View Post
    I have had it happen a couple times with compasses (but never with a SUUNTO SK7!)

Buy the SUUNTO.

WJH
    Wow - 4 minutes apart.

What he said...

Social Co-Director

Quote Originally Posted by WJH View Post
    I have had it happen a couple times with compasses (but never with a SUUNTO SK7!). It was a pressure related problem, I believe related to a loss of fluid in the compass. For a long time the one compass worked fine until you were deeper than 80 ft., where you really need to know where you are, and we kept thinking it was narcosis since it worked great at 20 ft.! I continued to use the "deep" compass only with OW classes where it was only used at a depth of 20 ft., but eventually had to throw it away as well.

Buy the SUUNTO.

WJH
    The only compass I've ever had is the SK7. Had one of those freeze up after about 4 years of use. I replaced it with another SK7, no problems since.

Bob K

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

allen, I think the problem lies with your magnetic personality.

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

How much iron is in your diet?

"If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him."
    "If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten"
    "I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it"
    "Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."
    "One tequila, Two tequila, Three tequila, Floor"

George Carlin 6-22-2008

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads