Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
  • The Cave Diver's Forum Main Page RSS Feed

Jon L at Little River Sept 2016

The purpose of the Cave Diver's Forum is to provide a place on the internet for civil discussions of anything cave diving related. This site is not a place to learn how to cavern or cave dive. This site contains plenty of comments, stories, reports, and opinions. Be careful, responsible, and mature, both in your posts and how you use anything you read here. Moderators do not monitor the accuracy of the content of threads posted here, and the opinions posted herein are personal opinions, and as such can be misleading and/or inaccurate. Entry into any overhead environment without proper training and equipment can get you killed.

New to diving and not yet cavern or cave certified? Watch this short movie if so. It might save a life; yours!
    "A Deceptively Easy Way to Die"

Opinions expressed on this forum are not necessarily those of the sponsors.

Join us on Twitter

• Recent Forum Posts

rddvet

Scooter gas management

Yeah, we had talked about it prior to my taking Edd's class. I got from Edd that there isn't a hardened fast rule and we went over calcualtions for gas needed for complete failures from max...

rddvet 02-23-2017 04:56 PM Go to last post
    HappyHacker

Lost Shearwater Perdix at Jug or Manatee

Didn't realize it was missing until I got back home to TX and unpacked. It's on an arm slate and I have the SN.

HappyHacker 02-23-2017 04:48 PM Go to last post
    GearHead

Are cannister lights still necessary?

I got a chance to try a Halcyon Focus LED light in our local turbid water last year. I wasn't impressed, and wished I had been able to use even my 24W HID instead. The HID can be focused so that the...

GearHead 02-23-2017 04:23 PM Go to last post
    PfcAJ

Scooter gas management

Halfs is the way to go.

Imagine you had something seriously go sideways on your dive. You're scootering out on a stage bottle and when you hit the next stage (the one you dropped on the way in,...

PfcAJ 02-23-2017 04:05 PM Go to last post
    tbone1004

Scooter gas management

so Edd's class has limited discussion on gas management because no one rule solves all, you need to calculate on every dive what that gas management plan is going to be based on your factors, and...

tbone1004 02-23-2017 03:56 PM Go to last post
    rddvet

Scooter gas management

As for "breathing the stage" I have heard several different definitions. I have heard breathe half in and other half out (not going below 500psi), 1/3s on stage, and half plus 200. I would think that...

rddvet 02-23-2017 03:36 PM Go to last post
    PfcAJ

Scooter gas management

Generally speaking breath the stages and keep backgas in reserve. If you want to swim somewhere it's cool IMO to use backgas so long as you reserve enough to get out of your scooter breaks. Having a...

PfcAJ 02-23-2017 03:29 PM Go to last post
    cmint

Solo Sidemount Gas Management

This makes sense, I've read about at least two accidents where someone drowned within sight of the stages they were swimming to, and at least one where *just one* stage or safety put where it should...

cmint 02-23-2017 03:22 PM Go to last post
    FW

Scooter gas management

The "off the trigger" part is the bigger issue. IF you can use stages while off the trigger, then that is probably best. If your off the trigger passage is small, you need to save enough gas for...

FW 02-23-2017 03:19 PM Go to last post
    LiteHedded

OOG during Deco

if you unclip and donate the long hose you're going to have a CF of tangled hoses to deal with. donate what you're breathing and move that diver onto a long hose if you need to (for some reason he's...

LiteHedded 02-23-2017 03:11 PM Go to last post
    Jack Hammer

OOG during Deco

Donate what your breathing immediately, you know it works and it's quickest to deploy. Sort it out after

Sent via

Jack Hammer 02-23-2017 02:50 PM Go to last post
    rddvet

Scooter gas management

I've been hesitant to ask this since passing Edd's scooter class, but FW's comment in another thread made me decide to go ahead. As I've said, I passed the class and I know many people are afraid to...

rddvet 02-23-2017 02:35 PM Go to last post