Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
  • Diver in the Well

HTML clipboard
    by Duncan Price

The terrain around the City of Nottingham in the UK is rather lacking in caves. The "Caves of Nottingham" are in fact man made holes cut into the red sandstone that is the predominate rock type along the banks of the River Trent. Fine ales can be consumed in the "Old Trip to Jerusalem", purportedly the oldest pub in the country (dating from the Crusades at the time of Richard I) which has rooms hollowed out into the cliff below Nottingham Castle. Perhaps Robin Hood sunk a warm beer here beneath the Sheriff’s feet?

There is a lot of history to the area and the Cave Diving Group was contacted by a local historical society with an unusual request. Could you dive in a well for us? Dutifully a team of Britain’s top cave divers was assembled. On the day (August 1st), however they couldn’t make it, so a substitute group of divers went in their place. This is their story. The well in question was in the grounds of Waterloo Cottage, 183 Nottingham Road, Trowell. Gary Jones, Al Steans, Andy Walchester and myself representing the CDG contingent with a few hangers on from the local caving club. Paul Nix seemed to be the man in charge of the history team and he’d organised press coverage from the local newspaper. Mr & Mrs Licence (the owners) were very accommodating and plied us with copious quantities of hot tea. An A-frame was assembled over the open manhole cover capping the well. We peered down into the gloom of the 4" diameter brick lined shaft which had been plumbed to 60 ft down to water level. The site is of particular interest as the well is in the grounds of a former hostelry and might contain historical artifacts. Al was keenest to descend (in fact Gary and myself hadn’t actually brought any diving gear) and got ready with a single sidemounted 50 cubic foot cylinder and his vertical gear. A wire ladder and a rope were rigged and Al rappelled down about half way to an area where the walls were coated with a think layer of red ochre which threatened to peel off at any moment. Not liking the look of this at all, Al retreated. After a little discussion, I volunteered to go down and try to remove this. Squeezing into the long john’s of Al’s wetsuit and borrowing his sit harness I dropped down to the offending muck and worked away at it with a wrecking bar amid loud splashes as the ochre was removed. Resting between bouts I became aware that the air was becoming foul so I too beat a laboured retreat to daylight on a fine summers evening. With not much to show for our efforts the divers decamped to a local hostelry to make plans for a return match. It wasn’t until August 31st that we met again. This time Andy was persuaded to go down the well. A reconnaissance with a miner's safety lamp on a rope indicated that air quality would be an issue. Andy kitted up with a single cylinder and breathed this throughout his time in the well. The diver was then lowered down in a haphazard manner to the water level. Several searches were made for anything of historical value. The only item of interest was a short length m length of wood with holes in it which could possibly be part of the well head. Attempts to haul Andy to the surface using a pulley almost collapsed the A-frame at the top so the diver climbed a ladder (with difficulty). Water depth 11 ft to the top of debris cone with a maximum depth of 17 ft recorded when Andy shoved his arm into the mung beneath. The well was found to be brick lined all the way and no underwater passages were felt leading off. Slightly disappointed that we’d not come away with anything that conclusively prove that the well was once uses as a water supply for the long lost pub, we once again retired to a working one to relax in.

(Left-right: Andy, Gary, Al and Duncan by the A-frame)

(Al descends the well)

(two views of Andy working at the bottom of the well)

(Andy gets some refreshment after diving)
  • Recent Forum Posts

crookshanky

Cave diving and Wreck penetration (similarities)

RGU, would you mind elaborating on the "classic wreck skills" that are dying out? I'm always interested in learning from the, as you put it, "old guys".

crookshanky 02-19-2017 10:27 AM Go to last post
    rddvet

New SM diver

I'm a stealth user and love mine. It has its pros and cons just as any sm rig does. I paid for mine but according to bent others don't (he's got a hard on against the stealth so keep that in mind...

rddvet 02-19-2017 09:38 AM Go to last post
    bent

New SM diver

Nvs, I wouldn't buy a rig without a shoulder dump for diving dry primarily. Even in OW you need to dump gas from the suit as well as the wing, pretty such at the same time... and the suit gas needs...

bent 02-19-2017 09:27 AM Go to last post
    Diverlee

New SM diver

I just switched from the sms100 to the LS. I like it. Just needed to make a few adjustments for size. I really like there's a top and bottom dump. I only use the inflator to add air. I did switch...

Diverlee 02-19-2017 09:10 AM Go to last post
    Nvs

New SM diver

Also was there many modifications if any to the rig? The o rings did you keep them or use them as a floating loop and replace with steel.
    If you use a butt plate does that bottom dump become hard to...

Nvs 02-19-2017 07:46 AM Go to last post
    Nvs

New SM diver

I guess with the stealth tec my questions would be :
    -Do I need a butt plate or are the squarish d rings at the back ok for steels?
    -I've been able to see a stealth harness that's all, no wing etc...

Nvs 02-19-2017 06:27 AM Go to last post
    Aotus

New SM diver

I have experience with the stealth tec, but none of the other rigs. What do you want to know about the tec? Aside from the controversy on this site about how it looks in pictures (please don't let...

Aotus 02-19-2017 04:49 AM Go to last post
    Nvs

New SM diver

Hey, as the title suggested I'm finally making the jump to side mount to further my training, and start cave training. My diving is primarily boat and shore entry but want to start caves (6 hour...

Nvs 02-19-2017 01:10 AM Go to last post
    Superlyte27

Silent submersion UV 26 scooter

You were asking questions while I simply asked for the PayPal account.

Superlyte27 02-19-2017 12:18 AM Go to last post
    data2

Does UTD have a presence in Florida?

So proud that he's been banned in nearly every forum I know and most Facebook groups. Haven't read anything by him for a year (while it used to be hard to escape ;))

data2 02-18-2017 11:31 PM Go to last post
    Michael F

Doc's Pro Ear Plugs - Reviews or Experience with them?

Thanks MA, I wish I was so fortunate.

Michael F 02-18-2017 11:25 PM Go to last post
    Aotus

Gear Review: A better multi-reg bag for way less $

I cut the shoulder straps off the pack and figured I would show that it's height compared to the two ref bags I was using.

Aotus 02-18-2017 11:08 PM Go to last post